My bad, I thought it had lossy raw and regular raw. Strange for a camera to ship with no uncompressed format
Sony did a lot of stupid things with their raw format over the years. After the A7 everybody screamed: give us uncompressed raws (when they really meant lossless compressed raws). So, Sony listened without thinking and the A7 III I still use has no lossless compressed option, only uncompressed. The files are 50 MB for 24 MP. ![]()
Converting to lossless compressed (using JXL) v1.7 DNGs some day when darktable supports it will be really tempting. I will shave off terrabytes of storage while still having exactly the same quality. The loss of metadata could be real though…
A lot of the entry level models did, or still do. A way for vendors to entice upgrading to mid-range or high-end/pro bodies for uncompressed so they can charge more.
Is there news about darktable being able to open lossy compressed DNG files from DXO Pureraw 6 and / or lossy Adobe DNG Converter files of compatible version 15.3 or superior?
If PureRAW 6 uses DNG v1.7.x features like JPEG XL compression, no. You can follow any developments in the GitHub issue.
So, no news.
Thanks
I think it is unlikely lossy formats will be supported.
Adobe DNG Converter lossy DNGs compatible with version 14.0 and bellow are supported.
This is what I’m using now as explaned in New DXO Pure Raw 6 - #17 by DDHarriman