New feature: support for CTL scripts

I understand. Thank you.

Just back home. I will upload the builds before Sunday evening.

2 Likes

No worries – I appreciate your efforts.

Will the builds need to have the CTL scripts added afterwards?

I have uploaded the builds for W10/11.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PiiTzfY1uSD8nV3bzgKDAR4o2aVZUJMS

The ctlscripts folder is included in the zip. Extract where needed.

edit: you will find also version 1.21-6

4 Likes

Hello @agriggio,
I followed your instructions to install OCIO and CTL, but although at least OCIO is on my machine (in /usr/local/bin), I’m unable to tell ART that OCIO is installed. Cmake always throws out the following messages.

searching for library lensfun in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  result: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblensfun.so
using mimalloc library 2.0
using libraw library 0.21.1
Checking for module 'OpenColorIO>=2.0.0'
  No package 'OpenColorIO' found
OpenColorIO not found
Checking for module 'OpenEXR>=3'
  No package 'OpenEXR' found
Checking for module 'IlmBase'
  Found IlmBase, version 2.5.7
CTL interpreter not found

So I downloaded your Linux binaries from this week, including the tcl scripts and now I can enjoy this new color functionality, which seems to be impressive to say the least (seems, as I need to do more testing to fully understand what those scripts are doing).

But one thing puzzles me: are those OCIO things included with your binary or not? If not, do I miss a lot of color functionality perhaps?

Hi,
You are not missing anything by using the prebuilt binary, all the optional features are enabled (and anyway, opencolorio is only used for loading CLF luts, if you don’t use them, you don’t need it).

Best

Thanks Alberto.

Hi,
Is there any way to get error messages for CTL script programing from ART?

Yes:

$ ART-cli --check-lut <filename.ctl>

HTH

Maybe installing OpenColorIO in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin would help?

paul@graveyron:~/apps/ART$ ART-cli --check-lut tetrahsl.ctl 
Invalid LUT file: tetrahsl.ctl

I guess I’m stupid…?

is tetrahsl.ctl in the current directory? You need to specify the full path to the file…

Yes it is, I copied that file from .config/ART/ctlscripts to apps/ART.

Hmm, there’s indeed a glitch in the command line, so you need to provide the full path to the file. Try this:

$ ART-cli --check-lut $(pwd)/tetrahsl.ctl

I’ll fix it in the next version, sorry!

Thank you. I will try it.

Fooling around with win 1.21-6-g7d0ac7671, and while I didn’t really miss sigmoid and the scripts for tone/colour correction, they are a joy to use! Be well!

Hello, thanks for trying to help me. I tried to copy the OCIO files to /usr/bin, but ART stays complaining.

The good news is that I saw this afternoon that recent versions of OCIO and OpenEXR are available in Synaptic in Xubuntu 23.04. I’m using 22.04 as I prefer LTS versions. But I’ll give 23.04 a try because of, well, this thread! :wink:

1 Like

Hi, Alberto.

You said in CTL scripts manual, we can use ACES2065-1, ACEScg, Rec2020, Rec709, ProPhoto, AdobeRGB as color space. Are the TRC of these color spaces are linear or perceptual. I think only Rec709 and AdobeRGB may be perceptual, but I’m not sure.

And one more question, in ART, can we see the output of print statement of CTL?

Hi,
Only the primaries of those spaces are considered, i.e. the trc is always the identity function (“linear” if you prefer).
You can see the prints in the terminal if you start from the command line. On windows you might need to enable verbosity, or the -w flag, I don’t remember, sorry…