New FLOSS graphics application

I’d like to introduce my project omm, which implements a new concept to create vector graphics.
I know that this forum is about pixels and I’m talking about vectors, but I was recommended to announce it here anyways, so here I go.

I have some experience with 3D-modelling tools and CAD and thus I am used to procedural, reusable and non-destructive workflows. Unfortunately, I don’t know any application which allows for such a workflow in 2D-world (apart from CAD) . That’s why I’ve started this very project.

For a list of features and more details, please see omm@github
I already announced my plans in #inkscape-devel (about half a year ago), so maybe you already know me. I will talk about it at LGM in spring, too.

Though I don’t feel the app is quite yet ready to use, I’ve spend many many hours creating it (almost 20k lines of code). Of course I appreciate volunteer co-developers, but, first of all, I am looking for feedback.
So if you want to support me, please try out my application. It’s free!
I know that building software can be troublesome. Don’t hesitate to ask me if you need attendance. I’m glad to help. If I know your platform I might even be able to build binaries for you.

8 Likes

Sounds like an interesting piece of software! Do you have any screenshots or other examples of how it works?

Thanks for your interest! That’s a really good point I haven’t thought about yet.
I’ve made a quick screenshot of a test scene.

1 Like

If the focus is going to be all about non-destructive editing, and it’s a vector app, I can see myself using this in the long term. Right now, Inkscape needs better gradient mesh editing tool, and a way to non-destructively remove part of intersecting path for me to be happy with it. Right now, if I had to use Inkscape to design something like a shoe, I have to use blur because gradient mesh as of now is so inconvenient there. THere’s no way to move tangent lines and keep it tangient, nor there is an automatic gradient mesh based on arbitrary four side shape in Inkscape. There’s also the issue of Inkscape filters looking really pixelated though I admit Illustrator has that issue as well. Affinity Designer got the best filters in my opinion, smooth, zoomable, no slowdown. Will this project address those limitation of Inkscape, and focus exclusively on non-destructive editing?

Also, will it have a vector fill tool that actually is you know, functional? Inkscape fill tool is based on raster information. illustrator has a functional vector fill tool.

Hmm, I read it’s C++ 17. I may actually be able to contribute like I did with Krita.

@pasbi a quick overview video would be helpful, so we can get an idea of what it is and what it does without having to compile it yet.

@Reptorian I’m not quite sure if I got your requirements, but it sounds like a job for omm :blush: I plan to have procedural “textures”, i.e. mathematically described combinations of gradients, noise, patterns, etc. Preferably this will be implemented using a node system like blender materials. But it’s still a long way until there.
I appreciate any help, so if you’d like to start coding, please have a look at the issue section and contact me privately (via github or pixls.us)
Getting involved is the best way to ensure that the app will suit your needs :smile:

@Morgan_Hardwood Great idea, I will make a video. Maybe tomorrow. Stay tuned :wink:

1 Like

@Morgan_Hardwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5Lo7kq5eM&t=23s
It’s not Oscar-worthy but you will get an impression.

3 Likes

In some way, it already looks more flexible than what Inkscape has to offer. Is there a way I can view progress on this project?

1 Like

Thanks for your interest, that’s very motivating :sunglasses:

• star it on github
  • follow LGM, I’ll be there
  • you can follow me on youtube, I plan to publish the progress there occasionally

I used to use Inkscape a lot. Got fairly competent in using it. Then the behaviours of some of the tools changed, and then it became buggy and unstable. Anyway, I don’t need to create vectors or convert between them and rasters anymore but I will give your app a try someday. :sunny: Looks interesting but a lot of work ahead of you!

Your example image reminds me of the :lobster:.