New Install MISSING Geolocater Plug In ???

Well, if it isn’t one problem, it’s half-a-dozen others.

I created this new thread so as to not muddy the waters in this thread:

digiKam Freezes when Right-Click a Tag - #8 by Andrius

In trying to cure my problem in that thread, it just kept following one new version after another, getting worse with each updated version.

I thought the problem through and decided to completely purge my system of all traces of digiKam and install version 5.9 = the version I had before my onslaught of trouble.

So, I hid my database files from the uninstallation process and used Geek Uninstaller to remove digiKam.

Once Geek finished it’s chore, I restarted the machine; then, I meticulously removed all traces of digiKam from the registry and every nook and corner of the system. Restarted the machine again.

Now, starting with a clean slate, as if digiKam had never been here before, I installed version 5.9

Once the installation finished, I made my database files available where digiKam expected to find them.

When digiKam 5.9 opened, there were my entire album collection and tag tree, all present and accounted for; and a bonus = all of my tag thumbnails that had gone missing were right there where they belonged.

Although I may not yet be out of the woods on the freezing-up business, I have confidence that the problem is gone.

HOWEVER, when I went to open the geolocation window, I don’t have any listing for it in the Item menu.

I looked in Plug-ins and it is not in there either.

I used the exact same download file this time as I had used way back in 2018; I have no idea how it omitted my geolocation plug-in; but, it is GONE, nowhere to be found; as Festus Hagen would say “It has completely vanquished”

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Try pressing CTRL+SHIFT+G or CTRL+ALT+G to open Geolocation editor

Low and Behold, CTRL + SHIFT + G immediately opened it.

THANKS !

Once open, it behaved as normal; although, it seemed to take forever to write the info to the files when I clicked Apply.

I examined the files in a couple other programs and the GPS info stayed with the files.

I have no idea how the GPS plug-in managed to not get installed, as it is not showing up in Item, it is not it Settings>Configure>Plug-ins, the option to write GPS data to files is absent from Settings Configure>Metadata

Yet, by some mystery miracle, I can call it into action via the keyboard and it shows up and works; that flies in the face of all good sense and reasoning.

The wife has digiKam installed on her machine; if I can determine what is missing by comparing the install folders, I will swipe the bits and pieces I need from her machine and insert them in the appropriate places in this machine and it should put things back to rights.

Edit: I just noticed that “Edit Metadata” is missing from the Item menu as well.

I would suggest to file a bug for this (for the ver. 7.0.0-beta3 or 6.4.0 though not for 5.9.0 because nobody will be looking at 5.9.0).

I think there something important for the Geolocation tool might be missing in the windows installer / linux appimage.