New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

The exif information is above the thumbnail slider. If it isn’t there for you, you hided it, so close the slider and open it again and it will be there …

Thanks but when I’m editing a photo in the darkroom, I do not show the bottom thumbnails.

But as I said above, I moved it to the top right position, so above the histogram, but it now uses more space than before… So it seems to go against the idea of having as much space as possible to work on the photo :wink:

done today. thanks.

Looks slick… can’t wait :slight_smile:

Is darktable easy to customize yourself? I’d really like to be able to detach the histogram and to increase its viewing size. I don’t have a username on github, but can I just post something there and then someone will pick it up?

You can make feature requests on github, and there is a possibility that someone will pick it up. It is certainly not a given that someone will pick it up anytime soon.

@Rico You need an account to make a feature request “issue”.

A user ID on github is free of charge. I believe that the people here will welcome your contributions, and will cut you some slack as you find your way around as a new user. Set one up here:

1 Like

I was able to download version 2.7.0+1232…-win64.exe and was able to run for a while. Now however, when starting i briefly see a “command window” then however, the program dies out. Tried to uninstall, even deleted:
C:\Users"USERNAME"\AppData\Local\darktable entries
and
C:\users"USERNAME"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INETCache\darktable
as well as all entries in registry. At this point still not able to start the program, not even earlier versions that ran successfully.

Where else would I need to check for potential errors, mishaps?
Thanks

Did your windows updated itself in the meantime? Chances are virus protection is killing the program.

If you have this folder then this is where you should find the log file. If you post it, it may give us some clues.

originally in that darktable log file it complaint about that it cannot open the database. it complaunt ablout the wrong version
in
\AppData\Local\darktable are the following files
data.db
data.db.lock
library.db
library.db.lock

since reinstalling I do no get the log file written anymore.

how would virus protection kill it?

@Bernhard_Vogler

1 Were you using dt 2.7 before or 2.6? Chances are there is an incompatibility. An old file or two that may be giving you issues.

2 Windows 10 updated 2-3 times recently. An update may change permissions of files, fiddle around with Defender settings or even move entire partitions. Crazy, eh? But normally, it is user error or misunderstanding.

It has happened to me in the past that windows defender detects that some program is going start executing and it stops it doing so. Thinking that it is a malware. That is what I meant by killing it.

The *.db.lock files should only be present when dt is running. Delete those and try again.

As @afre alluded, if you’re trying to go back from 2.7 to 2.6.x then your database won’t be compatible.

I did try that already without any success. Also I did not see any entry in the Windows logs that the program was stopped as a suspicious “virus” (to Shreedhar’s comment).

Yes, there were a couple of windows updates; and yes I used 2.7 ; then came the updates and it would not run anymore. tried to completely delete,and reinstall as shown above; neither seems to help. so I think i am missing something. Not sure what.

I’m late to the party, but this update is looking great! I love the cleaner look.

@Bernhard_Vogler Here are 2 things you might consider doing.

1 To see if Defender is the culprit, add folders to its exclusion list. After each Windows update, settings are usually reverted back to their default, or something that is beneficial to the company, like uploading samples even if disabled previously. Sometimes, it gets new features that you might want to configure.

2 Restart after you uninstall and then restart again after manually deleting the remaining files or registry entries. For some reason, at least on my system, certain files tend to stick around until I restart Windows. Reinstall dt once you are done and everything is truly gone.

1 Like