New laptop to run DT

Hello everyone,

I got a Macbook pro from a friend, it was heavily used by him so he gave it for free. I could still use it for almost a year before the screen died. It was a 2016 retina, i7, 16g ram,13”. Would be so expensive to repair and some of the keyboard also have issues so I think I just give away for some amount and get a windows or linux laptop as Macs are way too expensive for me.
Which brand would you recommend for editing photos? Specs same or better and colours, tones, contrast etc. of the screen are of course really important as this Mac was awesome and it be great to have the same or very similar look.

Thanks!

Most brands have a wide range of laptops these days so just naming a brand will not help you much.

What’s your budget?

Preference for screen size, glossy/matte?

As I mentioned, same or similar I had. 13” 16gb ram and the colours/tone/contrast etc. should be also similar to the Mac I was talking about.
Budgetwise I think approx. a grand in euros.

No experience with these, but it looks decent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVRFRK5S/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9ocXBfc2hhcmVk&th=1

I don’t think you will find a new laptop with acceptable graphics card and cpu good for darktable and a display, that is usable for tuning colors for 1k€.

Maybe take a look at Acer Nitro Linux laptops, I bought two of them during the last few years for my kids and they were well below 1k. cpu and graphics card were good enough for darktable - but the displays are a pain.

Macs usually have high quality displays, and that makes the difference. Maybe a 13" Macbook Air with M1 cpu or a used Macbook could be available for that amount of money.

It looks quite reasonable…just a note the 12500H is an I5 with less cores but Amazon description calls it an i7 the i7 gen 13 is quite a bit faster and has more cores at least by reported spec and only 200 dollars more so it might be worth considering it …

Screen sounds quite good from spec’s

“Inspiring creativity with lightweight design! The AERO 14 OLED creator laptop is designed for professionals, designers, and creators. The 1.49kg lightweight design and vivid display pair together as the perfect tool for modern workers, making work and creating creativity easier! With up to the 13th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processors and NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 40 Laptop GPU, the AERO 14 OLED provides high-performance computing and accelerated work output. The laptop is equipped with professional 2.8K OLED HDR display featuring eye protection and has been certified with X-Rite™ 2.0 factory color calibration and Pantone® Validated color calibration, in addition to passing TÜV Rheinland low blue light and Eyesafe® 2.0 standards. Unleash your creativity, write exciting music, or travel the world to expand your business anytime, anywhere.”

HDR and decent gamut…

“If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then OLED is your soulmate. The AERO 14 OLED creator laptop is equipped with a 2.8K OLED HDR thin-bezel screen providing vibrant and exciting images with 5,484,000 independent LED pixels. The 16:10 aspect ratio1 increases the viewing area by 12% and supports a 100% DCI-P3 cinema-grade color gamut. The VESA DisplayHDR™ 600 TrueBlack certification promises distinct blacks and whites with zero halos. In addition, the AERO OLED is TÜV Rheinland Eyesafe 2.0 eye protection certified and the low blue light and flicker-reduced technology protects users during extended use.”

1599 CAD which isn’t too much over 1000 EUR… :slight_smile:

Hi,
I’m not an Apple big fan, perhaps even an Apple hater, but if you’ve liked the Macbook Pro, for 1K you may consider a refurbished Macbook Air with M1 or M2 cpu.
Just few click and, tada : MacBook Air (2023) 15.3-inch - Apple M2 8-core and 10-core GPU - 8GB RAM - SSD 512GB for less than 1100 $ …

But also consider refurbished Dell (Latitude / Precision / XPS ) or Lenovo Thinkpad ( P or T ) => pro series for these 2 brands

For darktable, a strong GPU is much more important than the CPU. My Nvidia 1060 runs circles around my Ryzen 5 5600X.

Yes but you will use the laptop for other things and maybe even RT…. But both versions have a 4050 Nvidia card so I wasn’t even considering the GPU …so bench mark was 21K vs 27 K for 200 bucks might or might not be worth the performance…. more importantly was Amazon misrepresenting the spec

1 Like

Many thanks everyone! I’m about to purchase a used one anyway so a grand is not that bad in my opinion. Thanks for the suggestions I’ll look into them and will see.

1 Like

I am not going to suggest a brand, but the graphics card is really critical for darktable performance. You should be able to get a good computer for the price but the GPU is most important.