new PC for RawTherapee and darktable

thanks, that was it!

yes, that is the case. I will post a photo of the back side of the computer eventually but at the moment it’s a bit difficult to exchange files between the computer and my cameraphone. Although I could log in to pixls.us directly from my phone.
There is a dvi and an hdmi on the motherboard but they are probably not functional. And there is only one hdmi on the Nvidia card.

Should have 1x DVI, 1x HDMI 2.0b, 1x DisplayPort 1.4a - remove the plastic caps?

4 Likes

aaah you are right!!!

2 Likes

Would love to see what your new computer (or desk) looks like. (Hope it isn’t glowing neon. :rofl:)

not very tidy

yesterday I bought a usb bluetoth adpter because I didn’t find the old one. Well, in case you did not notice: my new compter does not have wifi or bluetooth that’s why it was more difficult to share files between devices.

Now I need to go hand in my Covid test (the blue box under the screen).

New computer and no connectivity at all? (How about Ethernet?) I would connect via USB cable. Bluetooth works too but we never got along. :see_no_evil:

Naturally wired networking is functional. I do use bluetooth, and I also have a Wacom tablet that has bluetooth. Well and I don’t really have a home network set up. Maybe I should have a look at that.
I don’t like wires so I try to avoid usb cables. I mean I am too lazy to connect via usb cable.

1 Like

Nice new computer! I recently bought a USB Bluetooth adaptor for my current system. It was a TPLink UB400. Zero issues, just plug and play :slight_smile: Certainly easier to transfer files to and from phone using bluetooth, rather than usb or KDEConnect.

1 Like

Found out that this only applies to mobile chipsets with integrated graphics. Probably negligible these days in newer systems with ample RAM.

My AMD system (3900X) doesn’t use much RAM, even on an absolute scale. About 280 MB after bootup (in the system console), and about 360 MB with the window manager and some terminal emulators running.

Then, Firefox pushes it to 2 GB and more. :wink:

Firefox currently clocks at 300 MB, only becoming troublesome when there is some sort of animation (e.g., on the GitHub main page). I hear Chrome is the thirsty one.

@afre @Tim
Using firefox, what does

about:cache

report?

What ff carche settings to use chiefly depends on whether
you use an SSD or not…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

@Claes / @Tim / @afre

Assuming firefox, don’t forget this one: about:memory (rather detailed)

I run a handful of keep-me-safe-and-private web extension and those alone take up 433.91 MB…

1 Like

Hmmm. about:cache reports 32 MB memory and 153 MB disk.

But my system is currently using 1.4 GB memory with Firefox running. I will exit Firefox and report what that figure goes to…

I quit Firefox, only, and the system memory usage went to 520 MB. After starting Firefox again, it is back to 950 MB. And, like I said, it will go up from there as I use Firefox more.

Yes, the about:memory output is complex, covering multiple processes, separately. The Main PID is currently using 314 MB, but there are several others.

My extensions aren’t using very much; it says 70 MB.

Your just working like a genius…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course, the biggest offender is Windows Defender, easily using more than 1 GB, and somehow encouraging other apps to do the same when it is active. :face_vomiting: As I mentioned, it turns itself back on shortly after I follow a dozen obscure (super) admin steps to disable it. Reminds me of the old Norton days. Well, it is still a little better than that. Apparently, Norton is adding crypto mining! :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

PS I forgot that a clever way around the issue is to install a third party AV. Its presence alone disables Defender as a result of customer complaints that running multiple AVs is ludicrous. Yes, yes, I should be running Linux… :stuck_out_tongue:

My MsMpEng.exe uses like 125Kb or so. Not that heavy for me.

It runs at between 150 MB to above 1 GB. That is a lot considering my system only has 4 GB total.