New PC for use with Darktable

I think he might refer to the softener module.

Von meinem/meiner Galaxy gesendet

Right now I am using an i7 (first gen) CPU, motherboard unknown, 8gb of old RAM, gpu is an entry level nvidia card with 2gb of RAM. I bought this System, when the i7 was the fastest thing you could get and i never updated on any hardware parts.

Are you using NEO drivers?
Are you running windows OS?
Are you running opencl at all?

I am just talking about windows and intel NEO drivers.

I don’t know if all APUs from untel use thise drivers. May be older pricessirs use a different driver set or oldest driver version work correctly.

But when you use intel NEO drivers and darktable detects them, it disables opencl and uses cpu instead.

You can use darktable-cltest to see detected drivers and if it disables opencl.

If that is the case, you can install latest drivc
er from intel that seems to have solve the pribkems with openck, and use the provided tweak in darktablerc in order to ignore blacklisted dricers, at leadt in 3.6.

Lots of good info here!
I agree with getting a good GPU - if you can find one!
I both built a desktop system for my wife, and had a custom laptop made for my use. I noticed a dramatic increase in speed and usability for Darktable.
the general specs for both systems:

Mainboard supports dual DDR4 memory
Gen3 or above Ryzen multi core processor
GPU - 6GB Geforce 1660 Ti (or the 2050)
NVMe SSD drives
Way too much memory.

For each computer, I used this framework and selected what specific components I thought was best.
My laptop for example (really a portable desktop because it uses a desktop processor rather than the smaller laptop type)
processor: 4.4GHz Gen3 Ryzen 7- 8 core
GPU: 6 GB GDDR6 GTX 1660 Ti w/ 1536 CUDA Cores
Memory: 32GB DDR4 dual channel
System Drive: 500GB NVMe sequential read 2400MB/s write 1750 MB/s
Storage: 1TB " " " "
This was built by System76 because I am a Linux user.
I built the desktop. Components were similar.
Some might look at this and think gaming rig, and that was kind of what I was heading for, even though I have no interest whatsoever in computer games. I just wanted a computer that could handle graphics well, and both do. Absolutely no slowdown or hesitation whatsoever on either one when using Darktable with Open CL enabled.
It’ll be fun figuring out what to build, and I really wish you well in finding the parts! the supply chain is just insane right now.

1 Like

just my thoughts for a dt use case

1. get as many cores you can afford, they count much more performance-wise than ram speed
  2. onboard cl graphics are mostly not efficient
  3. graphics card ram? 6GB will be ok for almost all use cases except for images >> 50Mpix
  4. nvidia drivers have almost no cl issues
1 Like

Thank you so much for all the interesting details! I personally follow the same path: buy overpowered today and still have a decent machine in 3 or 5 years.
Sincerely
D. Spenner

Thank you for all the background information. What a great place with all those supportive and often knowledgeable people like yourself! Here* is, what I have found out, and yes, dt OpenCL is enabled.

Again, thank you!

*See included Screenshots for System specs.

As I said the problen with opencl is only with blacklisted cards like all intel ones that use NEO drivers.

You have dedicated nvidia card, so no problen.

Right now there are problems with latest druvers, 470 and above from nvidia.
It is expected to get that corrected soon. Meanwhile, remain with older 460 or 465 drivers.

I have a geforce 1050 Ti 4GB ram and a i7 8700k processir.

I have made the tweak ti enable the NEO drivers, and configure DT to use geforce for main processing and export and intel apu to make previews and thumnails.

It is quite quick,uch more than cpu usage.

If your raws are normal in size and don’t use satcking or other intensive operations, you don’t need tio much ram. 8GB is ok, and 4 for the gpu. 16 us better for running many programs simultaneously.RAm us not so expensive nowafays, so i recomend 16 GB ddr4 with low latency and as quick as your processor can manage or just a bit more, in case you improve processor later. You won’t benefit from a quicjer ram that your processor cannot use.

Ssd is a must nowadays but not for the needs of DT. It takes a bit longer to load and load database, but you won’t see differences in image processing.
If you have a very big database may be you see a difference.

But with a good ssd, nvme better, the systrm will be more respobsuce and OS load will be greatly reduces, general system performance and changes among programs will be quicker.

The new 471.41 nvidia drivers corrected the problem.

Best regards,

4 Likes

I got the new Linux kernel and nvidia drivers yesterday on Arch Linux. The nvidia driver was updated again, this morning. openCL has been working just fine for me.

Linux kernel: 5.13.4.arch1-1

nvidia driver: 470.57.02-3

nvme is much better. My old SATA III SSD ran at around 500 MB/sec. My new PCIe nvme SSD runs more than six times as fast, around 3,100 to 3,400 MB/sec.

The images are read on SSD just once when opening the app, then perhaps when browsing light table, but SSD performance will yield only marginal speed-up at opening (provided the thumbnails are already cached). For uncached thumbnails, in lighttable, SSD I/O is the least of your concerns.

So, if you break the bank, don’t do it on an hard drive. Also, I/O transfer rate is usually given for big, contiguous, files. Typical raw images are 20-40 MB each.

2 Likes

Luckily GPUs are bank breakers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, that is what i was saying.

DT will benefit the mos from an advance GPU with enough memiry for the size if your raws.

Then a quick cpu would be great too, but i think you dob’t need the most advanced ones, an i5 or ryzen 5 from the last generation would me a great option.

Memory, 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz wilth low latency, CL16 as most of this the processors won’t benefit of a quicker memory as they support only 3200. May be a bit quicker if you think in future processor upgrades and the price is similar.

Even running multiple programs at the same times i dont use 16 GB of memory. If you use huge raws and many programs at the same time you may benefit from mire ram.
If your motherboard has 4 sockets, buy 2x8Gb and you can install more later if you feel you need it.

SSD is a must nowadays for general system performance and good mutitasking.
If your board supports it nvme is better and 3200 MB/s 512 GB disks are not expensive.

I prefer a disk that has similar write and read performance, but depending in the use ine with better read than write may be more efficient for IS and program install in it.

But you won’t see too much improvement running DT in an SSD and having database and raws on it instead a mechanical disk.

Load of program would be a bit quicker but proccessing would be about the same.

So no pint buying the mos expensive SSD and with the most capacity.

Thanks for the advice.

May be they put back inline opencl functions again.

It seems the problem was not in the drivets side, as inline functions are no mandatory in current opencl specs.

I know DT developers were fixing the problem

If you are running DT master, may be it is not the driver which has solved it, but DT fix.

I will try with DT 3.6.0.1

I am ansiouxly waiting for a new version for windows which fixes some problems with import and lua, may be it incorporates this fix too.

1 Like

No, I am on 3.6.0-2

Where have you found 3.6.0.2?

In github i inly can fin stable 3.6.0 in releases.

In the official site there is a link to 3.6.0.1 in windows install section, but i have not found more recent stable release.

I dob’ t understand well release deployments in DT, not easy to find recent rekeases in github.

They’re here Releases · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

3.6.0.1 is for windows only and corrects a packaging error, so the source code was not changed, the windows package was just rebuilt.

1 Like

Thank you, i had foubd that page.
But there is no mention to updates from main stable release.
I don’t see a list of executable downloads.

3.6.0.1 is the first update from release for windows and put back lua which was missing in original launch

But there remain issues with import and lua (when you use a custom configdir) and cr3 support. Some seem to have been corrected in master and integrated in 3.6.

But i cannot find an installer.

@Tim mentions a 3.6.0.2 release and i cannot find it.

It woukd be great if after release, some important fixes and camera compatibility were integrated in the stable release and launched as minor releases in github.

CR3 just flat out is not supported in the stable release yet. @mstr.2015 has released some unofficial builds.

There are probably other bugs on windows, but we don’t seem to get a lot of users testing in the RC phase, so the bugs are not found. @wpferguson has started to do some weekly builds to try and help with this problem.

If you’re a windows user, your participation is appreciated.

1 Like