New PC for use with Darktable

Yes i have began to test the weekly windows releases.

But they are for the master release, not reliable for your main edits.
I cannot do too much testing right now as i don’t have access to my main PC, next week i will try to test a bit more.

I only use a small part of DT and am relatively new to it. But i will report any bugs or problems i can find, and am using windows.

In the spanish forum there are people that is testing and finding the same import bugs.
Some of them don’t speak english (me not very well either).
I will try to make the bridge and inform if they find new bugs here and put there findings in new releases or bug fixes.

When there are important bugs like problems with import or integration of new cameras, is it usual un DT to port them to current stable release or only in master?

Building DT in windows is not as easy as doing it in linux, so many of us depend on installable versions.

The build instructions in https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/packaging/windows/BUILD.md are quite comprehensive. Once the msys/mingw environment is installed (thats described step by step), building dt is as simple as with linux :wink:

English is not a requirement to reporting a bug. Write it in Spanish, we have google translate and deepl and probably some native Spanish speakers too.

If there are enough bugs, there will be a bug fix release, but this will likely happen less since we are making releases twice as often now.

Great thank you.

We coincide in the Spanish forum, I can help translating it to English and post here(or GitHub) just tell me.

1 Like

Great, we can try to transkate here problems or bugs exposed by peopke there, abd help with translation of artickes and documentatiin. It has alreafy been translated, though.

Diffuse is a new module in the master…

There is also a blurring module added as well

If they are not translated to spanish, I will try to translate then this week.

I for one do not think that building a Windows installer is easy at all. I have tried multiple times and so far have been 100% unsuccessful. The process is very complex even with the step-by-step instructions because it seems that every time I try, errors keep cropping up that I have no ideal how to deal with. One day I get one set of errors, another day there are different ones that apparently are tied to some change in some obscure file that couldn’t be found or that had been changed. It is very discouraging to someone who has a good grasp of the dos-based command-line process but who is totally unfamiliar with the complexity and syntax of unix-based software. The process of recovering from errors in the unix world might be trivial for a unix-savvy person but it can be totally obscure to the uninformed!

I very much appreciate the Windows builds that are periodically provided so that we Windows people can share in the wonders of dt.

1 Like

Me too, now we have them thanks to @wpferguson but only for master builds.

There are some other modules being test not in master.

I have read how to build in windows and it is not easy at all, as it depends on many libraries and tools thought for linux ( from compiler to QT library and many others).
It is not easy to build in windows.

May be I can try in months coming but from now it would be great to test the weekly updates.

Then i simply had luck :wink:

:slight_smile:

I just followed method A going back almost 2 years ago…step by step and everything worked fine…I make a package and install it that way?? The instructions have changed a little over time and in fact I think gotten easier. I actually use the the build script build.sh and it works fine for me…

I guess perception of difficulty is a sliding scale but this one is not too bad I don’t think

Well i will try in the future
Now is not time to make to many changes in my PC with hollidays at the corner.

I think i will try to cross compile using a linux machine in windows to compile a widows version and test DT in linux too.

So i will not full my windows machine with too munch garbage that can interfere with normal use and compilers and tools i won’t use for anything more.

I have it already full of garbage with many tests of installing tools and compilers, etc.
It needs a cleanup… Autunm will be a good time for it, when I probably upgrade motherboard and processor.

No you just are more advanced in linux world than we are.

nice diagnostic. I‘m a mac user (ok I’m comfortable with the terminal) and use windows in business context. No linux at all. But i‘m able to use google if something isn’t working and I’m fine with try and error - yes and patient :wink:

Thank you for all the great advice. My solution was an upgrade and it fully suffices my expectations:
1 TB SSD on SATA
Total RAM of 32 GB (completely overdone)
GPU with 4 GB (used Nvidia Quadro)
Low cost, great effects! Maschine running like hell.
Best wishes from Germany
Daniel Spenner

2 Likes