New Raw editing group on facebook

I’m not sure how relevant this will be to the members here, but thought it worth mentioning.
It started out as a post in a Nikon user group that I’m a member of, which (by the way!) has rather a small percentage of worthwhile discussion. This new one could be quite good going by the way it started.
It’s for any kind of software, so I’m expecting plenty of adobe etc. but no reason FOSS can’t be involved :grin:
Licencing simply involves agreeing to not share other’s images outside the group.
Remains to be seen how it goes, but maybe worth a look for anyone who happens to be on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/889502269233543

1 Like

Good find! Unfortunately, I’m not on Facebook (never have been, and never will be), but could well be worth a visit for those who are. :+1:

3 Likes

Ditto. Too bad, I would have liked to take a look. But Facebook is a no-go for me.

2 Likes

I joined.

Let’s spread the darktable gospel :wink:

1 Like

Too bad it is facebook - I stay away from it too.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the thoughts! I fully and utterly respect anyone who keeps off facebook - I won’t go into my reasoning but suffice to say even though I’m on it I have a lot of reservations…

It’ll be interesting to see how the group comes along.

I don’t use it much anymore, don’t have it on my phone and have it cut off from everything else using Firefox’s container for it. Photography groups is a least one good thing about it though, well some of them. :rofl:
Just sent a join request.

1 Like

Same here - I refuse to park FB’s creepy apps on my phone. I use it occasionally on my phone via Firefox Mobile, otherwise at home on Firefox in a container and strict-blocked. :smiley:

2 Likes

The fact that far too many clubs, communities, event organsisers, etc. do not promote themselves, offer membership, or even provide contact details without having to sign up to some sort of social media platform or other really grinds my gears.

For example, I’d love to help out at a local community group, but they require me to sign up to another well known platform just to ‘say hi’ and ‘arrange a time to visit’. They have their own website, for Elvis’ sake! – I mean… really? So… nope; no thanks; I’ll offer my time and resources elsewhere.

I’ve nothing against such social media platforms in general; it’s just that I personally have no need to use them, and — in the spirit of free choice — don’t want to use them; I certainly won’t be ‘encouraged’ to join any of them simply because no other option is presented.

On that note, thank the stars for discuss.pixls.us — to date, it’s the only place you’ll find me hanging out.

1 Like

I can certainly understand that and I’m not promoting social media but the fact is, almost any platform offers organizational and functional advantages that would be virtually impossible to accomplish without then. Primarily, they’re communications-based but given the virtual nature of Internet-based capabilities, without them any club’s “reach” would be a small fraction of what social media can provide. From that perspective, PIXLS.US isn’t fundamentally too different, just better, “cleaner” and more respectful.

Unfortunately there’s bad with the good so it’s a mixed bag when it comes to social media.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with you, Len, in every respect. I just wish it wasn’t the only way to connect. My example above is a great case in point — how hard would it be to include an email address on their website? Or let me ‘knock on the door’ without first joining ‘socialmediarussosignupnow dot com’?

1 Like

Oh I agree, there are definitely better and worse “sub-choices” within the context of Internet-based options. I personally prefer email for a lot of communication, but I see folks who use texting for everything… then they struggle to find old texts, have problems with attaching data, image downscaling, etc etc.

Use the right tool for the job.

2 Likes

I know what you mean. I’ve been in that situation quite a few times… instagram is my pet hate, yet there’s been a few photography related things I would have like to be involved with (although no great loss really!)

Yes! It’s the best group, full stop of any I’ve tried over the last few years. :smiley:
The only other one I take seriously is www.realphotographersforum.com, which also (IMO) has a rather high ‘standard’ of it’s membership, only it’s very quiet… not much activity at present. UK based, at least originally.

1 Like

Well make sure you represent us free software hippies well!

3 Likes

I do my best… :slight_smile: :face_with_peeking_eye:

LOL. I can’t speak for anyone else, but that just about sums me up perfectly. :heart:

2 Likes