New Sigmoid Scene to Display mapping

Yeah, glad there was even enough water to raft!

1 Like

I was thinking just that but you said it… :smile:

1 Like

Always a landslide to fall back on. :wink:

Any photos to share? :pleading_face:

4 Likes

The branch has had some polishing and is rebased on the current master:

PR should be up in a few weeks from now.

Had days where it felt like that was happening to me…

Yeah, we were a bit worried about that, but the river had plenty of water for some white water fun.

Yes! I will share some of them eventually (when we finish the apartment move and I have some more time again).

21 Likes

I tried to build…it …cloned your repo so no merges etc with my other darktable stuff.

Build fails at a a few points… Windows 11

I will try again from scratch and then try to share the results…

EDIT

[ 71%] Building C object lib/darktable/plugins/CMakeFiles/colorin.dir/introspection_colorin.c.obj
In file included from C:/msys64/home/xxxxxx/Sigmoid/build/lib/darktable/plugins/introspection_exposure.c:46:
C:/msys64/home/xxxxxxxxx/Sigmoid/src/iop/exposure.c: In function ‘_get_exposure_bias’:
C:/msys64/home/xxxxxxx/Sigmoid/src/iop/exposure.c:499:6: error: the comparison will always evaluate as ‘true’ for the address of ‘image_storage’ will never be NULL [-Werror=address]
499 | if(&(self->dev->image_storage) && &(self->dev->image_storage.exif_exposure_bias))
| ^
compilation terminated due to -Wfatal-errors.
cc1.exe: all warnings being treated as errors
[ 71%] Linking C shared module libbasicadj.dll
make[2]: *** [lib/darktable/plugins/CMakeFiles/exposure.dir/build.make:82: lib/darktable/plugins/CMakeFiles/exposure.dir/introspection_exposure.c.obj] Error 1

EDIT:

Apparently it helps if you checkout the right branch first :slight_smile:
This one may be CPU Alderlake… I can update with a generic one tomorrow…

Ignore the versions number its a current version from Jandren’s updated sigmoid branch…

2 Likes

Thanks @jandren . Have just built like here , hopefully picked up the latest changes (got 4.1.0+248~g8ce715250)

So easy to get quick and decent results. This with just default sigmoid settings, no Highlight Reconstruction module and a quick Exposure tweak -

Then as an experiment I added Filmic (after Sigmoid) to make use of the gamut mapping. I adjusted Filmic briefly for roughly “neutral” settings -

5 Likes

Thanks for rebasing your PR.

Even on the latest master from today i can rebase it without issues or conflicts. This gave me the chance to have a build with pretty much all the latest toys , and finally give sigmoid a try.

Tried it on a few pictures quickly, and i see a use for it. But on moet images the difference is quite subtle , almost like it’s “another option in the preserve chrominance dropdown in filmic”.

I don’t mean that as a negative , in case it’s seen that way. There are pictures where i like the result more , but also just as much if not more pictures where i like filmic more. It’s a nice tool to have in the toolset .

The workflow is a bit slower this way. I can quickly try all the preserve modes in filmic my scrolling through the dropdown box. And now I have to enable this module to see if I like the result more or not :smile: . (Hint , that means the results can be worth it to check it, even if not using it all the time ).

1 Like

We did talk about ways we could integrate it into other modules and other options, though there would be complexities. In terms of workflow, I think it is a matter of what we are used to. Initially, filmic was a time-sink and an unknown to users. Over time, it has become the comfort food of post-processing. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, and I really don’t want to relight the discussion. I’m just happy to finally have a play with this. And I know people sometimes just want an easy flow, but I like to try what I can get out of it, so another tool is almost always welcome in my book!

(If I need to quickly batch process images, I won’t use Darktable :see_no_evil: ).

Mentioning your experience is enough to spark imagination. Chaos ensues when it becomes a battle of wills and trolls.

I don’t think that’s true at all. It was obvious that it was better than base curve but took a bit of time to wield effectively.

4 Likes

That is part of what I meant. It took time for users to acclimate. Now it is the go-to tool and not only a known but the most popular one.

Hello everyone,
I’m very happy to see that the Sigmoid module will be integrated in the Darktable 4.2 version, I obtain very good results in the highlights and near white color.
I have difficulty to understand all the discussions about Filmic. For me the strength of Darktable is to have modules independent of each other, which allows me to select them in function to the desired artistic result. It’s a pity that the color gamut has been integrated to Filmic, I would have preferred a separate module.
Greetings from brussels.
Christian

9 Likes

To me, using Filmic (chroma preserve = no) + Colour Balance RGB with Vivid colours preset obtains pretty similar results to Sigmoid on its own.
I think people will find Sigmoid appealing because it generates an attractive looking starting point without having to add colour balance as an extra step. It also looks less intimidating.
Will be good to have the choice though…

2 Likes

There are benefits and downsides to modular vs bundled design. I believe AP made filmic a bundle because he enjoyed the control. And it allowed time for the modernization of the old pipeline. Eventually, when he couldn’t, he had to create new module islands. But filmic was originally about implementing the filmic mapping. Just like what sigmoid is doing using a different map. To my understanding, @jandren won’t be packing sigmoid. His question is more about how people (in particular, the devs) want it to exist in dt. In its current form, it is a proof of concept soon to be made (or already) a PR (pull request).

@jandren
It can always be my build of course, but I’m noticing some issues. Maybe because of pipeline hints / differences in the latest dt-master, or caching changes?

I find that at random moments, the picture will go completely dark. 100% black. This can happen when adding instances of another module. For example, it happened once when adding a third diffuse instance, and loading up a preset. poof, preview black. Disabling diffuse, preview is good again. But, but… disabling sigmoid (but keeping diffuse enabled) then also fixes the black screen. In the end I can try disabling and re-enabling all kind of modules, but the only combo that seems to be causing the black screen is then diffuse + sigmoid. If one of the two is on, the screen goes black.

But then on another picture, all goes well. It doesn’t happen all the time. It seems random.
If I have a snapshot active (in split screen for example), that is displaying fine. So it’s not a ‘render’ bug in the viewport.

Now, the first time, I shrugged it off. But now it happened a couple of times, and every time it happens, I have sigmoid active in the pipeline. Never had this before.

I know this doesn’t proof that it’s 100% because of sigmoid… but it does start to look that way :).

Is your local repository updated?

Past week there was several fixes related to recents changes in pixelpipe cache.

1 Like

There is a remaining issue in the pixel pipe cache. Working on this

8 Likes

I don’t think it can be sigmoid. Black preview happens to me very occasionally with 4.1.0~git175.808361fe-1 (no sigmoid). Most recently when activating the crop module,. It seems to sort itself out, though.

Forgot to mention, the pixelpipe issues should be fixed …

6 Likes