New Solidify Filter

@David_Tschumperle just posted this awesome video demo of his new Solidify filter in action!

I love how effortlessly those gradient get created now! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Pat for the heads-up.
Maybe I can add some words about it. I’ve worked recently (two days ago :slight_smile: ) on the implementation of a G’MIC command able to reconstruct images from sparse samples. Basically, you start from a set of few colored points and the algorithm reconstruct the entire image using basic interpolation techniques. By the way, the more points you have, the better interpolation you get (the location of the sample points is also important of course).
As the command is quite generic (works for 2d images as well as 3d volumes), I’ve been able to use it as a common basis for designing some new filters in G’MIC, which are :

• Filter Repair / Solidify is the most obvious use of the filter. You specify the sample points as non-transparent pixels in a transparent image, and the filter reconstruct the entire image. That’s the filter shown in the video. Here is another example of use, where I’ve kept only the central part of the image opaque, while making the outer part transparent :

• Filter Artistic / Smooth abstract also uses this algorithm. From an input image, it try to decides what sample points should be kept to reconstruct the image by interpolation. Basically, it keeps the sample points on the image contours (discontinuities of the colors/intensities). Then, it try to reconstructs the image from these sample points only. Of course, if you don’t have enough sample points, then the reconstruction is a kind of smooth abstraction of the input image (which is the goal here actually).

• Filter Rendering / Gradient [random] renders colored background. It simply generates a set of some random colored points, and use them as key points for the image interpolation algorithm. Very basic filter in fact, but the results are cool :slight_smile:

Well that’s it for now. Three filters in three days, based on the same new interpolation technique introduced in G’MIC, that is already more than I was expecting at first :slight_smile: Not sure how useful it can be for photographers though. If you have any ideas, please let me know !

4 Likes

Wow; much faster than what I last remembered it being. Definitely quicker than RobA’s Script-fu. Had to resort to using the Script-fu since, until recently, Solidify was missing in action as far as G’MIC was concerned. Thanks a heap for the improvements, David. :slight_smile: