Newbie having problems with highlights

My attempt in darktable 3.4.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (14.1 KB)

1 Like

@pdvpjepj: In case youā€™re not aware, you can load development settings not only from XMPs, but also JPG output (so you can download @s7haboā€™s last image, and in darktable use the load sidecar file button:
Then switch the file selector to show all files and pick the downloaded JPG:

And the lighttable is updated (you can make a duplicate of the image before you do this, and load the history stack into that copy):

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand this: are the settings embedded into the jpg? Or does dt do something similar to the auto-matched curve in RT?

You can only do this if the JPG was exported using darktable, AND darktable embedded the processing settings. WIth 3.4, there is a ā€˜cogwheelā€™ icon next to ā€˜exportā€™ button:

See ā€œExport selectedā€ in the darktable usermanual under the ā€˜metadataā€™ heading.
On the master branch, you have a preferences item in the ā€˜hamburger menuā€™ of the module.

2 Likes

Double filmic, wow! :slight_smile:

Yes. I always test new combinations :wink: :upside_down_face:

It looks like the last image was a screen dump not an uploaded jpg so not sure this would still work I havenā€™t had a chance to tryā€¦if so @s7habo what tweak did you add to the updated imageā€¦

I masked fringe and corrected colors with color balance module .

Thanksā€¦so likely just a parametric mask and then a color tweak??.I sometimes use the autodesaturate picker in CZ module and select on something like that then bump the mixer around if neededā€¦that can work pretty well too I have found

Itā€™s a real darktable export; it is the file I used in the screenshots above.

Would you care to explain the thought process behind the steps? E.g. how did it occur to you to use two filmic instances; and how did you figure out what highlight restoration settings to use with filmic?

Looks really good. Much better than c1. Looking at the C1 and some DT examples I thought just crop that top part. But your image really makes the sky look like not being heavily blown.

2 Likes

I am not at my PC to check but I have used an instance where I shift the latitude all the way up and then saturate itā€¦it adds nice color to the highlights. I see also a massive negative threshold so that must act to boost the effect that Boris appliedā€¦I notice he also moved the slider away from color and towards grayā€¦lots of small things to try

This was simply an experiment. Iā€™m just curious which modules are good for increasing contrast with blend mode multiply or multiply reverse. I tried several before and it was filmicā€™s turn. That is all. Now I know about the strengths and weaknesses of different modules and when to use which one. :wink:

Do not expect anything particularly intelligent. :joy: I read popup info and just moved sliders until it worked. If that didnā€™t work, I would have selected sky, taken colorize module and recolored sky. It didnā€™t have any details that needed to be reconstructed anyway.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (12.2 KB)

I used some gradients for exposure adjustment, and the relight preset in tone equalizer. Disable the highlight reconstruction module and just handled that part in filmic. I also added a second color balance module to reduce the contrast in the sky because it looked too strong to me after I lowered the exposure there.

3 Likes

I also find subtract used at a very low opacity really is nice for contrastā€¦its almost like a dehaze in fact I I use a strait tone curve with 10-20& opacity blended with subtract and I find it really niceā€¦in a way it seems more targeted than multiply which can start to bump saturation more than contrastā€¦I am sure you have tried it but if not see what you thinkā€¦

Yes, I have, and it is indeed a very nice gentle effect. Although multiply increases the saturation, I recommend applying it to RGB Curve. If you then reverse S Curve, you will get a nice contrast very quickly.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip I will try thatā€¦!

Thanks, everybody! It will take me a while to work through the suggestions.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (10.7 KB)

1 Like