Newbie having problems with highlights

I am not at my PC to check but I have used an instance where I shift the latitude all the way up and then saturate it…it adds nice color to the highlights. I see also a massive negative threshold so that must act to boost the effect that Boris applied…I notice he also moved the slider away from color and towards gray…lots of small things to try

This was simply an experiment. I’m just curious which modules are good for increasing contrast with blend mode multiply or multiply reverse. I tried several before and it was filmic’s turn. That is all. Now I know about the strengths and weaknesses of different modules and when to use which one. :wink:

Do not expect anything particularly intelligent. :joy: I read popup info and just moved sliders until it worked. If that didn’t work, I would have selected sky, taken colorize module and recolored sky. It didn’t have any details that needed to be reconstructed anyway.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (12.2 KB)

I used some gradients for exposure adjustment, and the relight preset in tone equalizer. Disable the highlight reconstruction module and just handled that part in filmic. I also added a second color balance module to reduce the contrast in the sky because it looked too strong to me after I lowered the exposure there.

3 Likes

I also find subtract used at a very low opacity really is nice for contrast…its almost like a dehaze in fact I I use a strait tone curve with 10-20& opacity blended with subtract and I find it really nice…in a way it seems more targeted than multiply which can start to bump saturation more than contrast…I am sure you have tried it but if not see what you think…

Yes, I have, and it is indeed a very nice gentle effect. Although multiply increases the saturation, I recommend applying it to RGB Curve. If you then reverse S Curve, you will get a nice contrast very quickly.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip I will try that…!

Thanks, everybody! It will take me a while to work through the suggestions.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (10.7 KB)

1 Like

Isn’t that just harsh bokeh?

Yes, it could be that.

I posted the picture. It’s not a composite. It was taken in pretty dark forest against an overcast sky. Definitely not very good conditions.

@s7habo, @priort
Aren’t you using Windows? If so, did you compile your builds. I keep looking at

but there are no current, successful builds.

Apparently, it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer what that thing is, but I am stumped.

I do build it myself…so the latest link there doesn’t work??

Etc. for 21 days.

I don’t use Windows but Kubuntu 20.04. I get my darktable from Opensuse repo:
https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=graphics:darktable:master&package=darktable