next live meeting April 30 17:00 UTC

@Andy_Astbury1 @Wayne_Sutton that was a really awesome test meeting! Thanks for participating. I am looking into this 16-bit-CMYK-thing, I think it is possible somehow.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate? Perhaps the forum could help.

For personal reference, April 30 17:00 UTC is Friday 1pm EST.

merci :+1:

I think it’s about convertig a 16-bit-image from a large RGB color space to 16-bit-CMYK. Looks like it’s possible with Krita. In GIMP it’s probably broken, at least my GIMP 2.10 cannot open the 16-bit-cmyk-tiffs that I created with Krita. But I am not 100% sure if I understood Andy correctly, because if Photoshop can do it it’s possible on Windows as well.
Also, I have no way to check whether the images that Krita created in 16-bit-cmyk are correct.

Any ideas? @Jade_NL @Reptorian @Jehan @rich2005 and friends.

maybe gmic can do it too?

I can only say the following about it:

• Krita can create 8/16/32 bit CMYK (Alpha) images,
  • There’s just one profile you can choose: Chemical proof,
  • Exporting this to png/jpg/tiff isn’t a problem,
  • XnViewMP can show these files without any problem,
  • GIMP does not like the tif and won’t load it (with a unsupported layout, no RGB loader message). It does load and convert the jpg though.

If I look at an exported test tif using XnViewMP I see this in the info tab:

I’m not able to find any info about the used profile made by W. Gill.

A little disclaimer:

• I wasn’t a participant in the test meeting so I’ve no context about this 16-bit-CMYK-thing,
  • I never had a use for or used a CMYK profile before,
  • All the info I gathered I did in the last 15 minutes or so.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

EDIT2: Found some Chemical proof / Graeme W. Gill info.

Can anyone point me to a reasonable, freely-licenced CMYK profile?

Hi,
I’m happy to offer a public domain one based on a chemical
proof measurement set, which is a pretty clean, well behaved
CMYK response. The B2A table conversions are setup for an
sRGB source.

You can find it here http://www.argyllcms.com/cmyk.icm;

I’ll include it with future ArgyllCMS releases.

Graeme Gill.

The above snippet is from here: [Lcms-user] free fallback CMYK profile (sourceforge).

He, G. W. Gill, is part of Argyll CMS:

https://argyllcms.com/

3 Likes

I also have two other profiles:

But the profiles should not be a problem.

EDIT: Apparently the Artifex profiles come with Ghostscript.
I think this is starting to remind me of that friend of mine who thinks that only Adobe can save/create PDFs. Maybe that was the case 30 years ago?

GIMP doesn’t support LAB Tiff either. I just think it doesn’t support importing files of other color space unless it is already written as part of the file specification as the default one.

@paperdigits Please confirm.

No idea. Maybe you meant @Jehan ?

Noted. I’ll ask him the next time I have question about GIMP internals.

@Reptorian @Jade_NL is there a way to batch convert and export to 16-bit-cmyk in Krita? The Krita command line documentation seems rather short.

Oh dear, Anna, I hope this is nothing to do with what I said to you yesterday - because if it IS, then it appears that you have severely misunderstood what I said :thinking:

I mentioned the 16 bit print pipeline; where all additive RGB colours and pixel-to-dot conversion calculations, are done at the print head to an accuracy of 16 bits, by the printer driver in conjunction with the source software and operating system.

Windows operating systems have never - in the past - been able to support a 16 bit print pipeline.

Canon produce a plugin for Lightroom and Photoshop that operates with a 16bit xps printer driver, but this is generally a messy workflow involving yet more ‘extra’ software steps!

In all fairness, if you only produce small prints you will struggle to see the difference between 8bit and 16bit printing, but when it comes to exhibition printing the difference becomes more obvious.
In simple terms the larger you print, the larger the requirement for 16bit printing.

But why would you want to produce a CMYK image on your computer? CMYK is a SUBTRACTIVE colour space, but your computer system is an ADDITIVE colour device - what you are attempting to do is totally unnecessary.

1 Like

Now that I’ve read Andy’s post I have context about this 16-bit-CMYK-thing you were talking about and I do believe that the question isn’t relevant any longer.

But let me answer you just in case you need something like it in the future.

Nope, you can’t, natively Krita doesn’t have a batch exporting facility. There is this plugin though:

And here’s a mini video tutorial: Krita Batch Exporter: Demo to help you get started (Free add-on)

Although it is a nice-to-have, it is limited to one document (just open everything in that one doc as layers) and some basic adjustments:

• [e=jpg,png] - supported export image extensions
  • [s=20,50,100,150] - size in %
  • [p=path/to/custom/export/directory] - custom output path. Paths can be absolute or relative to the Krita document.
  • [m=20,30,100] - extra margin in px. The layer is trimmed to the smallest bounding box by default. This option adds extra padding around the layer.
  • [t=false] or [t=no] - disable trimming the exported layer to the bounding box of the content.

As you can see there’s no option to convert from one model/depth setting to another cause it is basically layer/group based.

If you clone the GitHub project you’ll find a short manual in the krita-batch-exporter/batch_exporter directory.

You can find the Jitsi link in the very first post.

17:00 UTC is 18:00 in London, 19:00 in Paris/Vienna and 13:00 in NYC (at least I think so).

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Next+live+meeting&iso=20210430T17&p1=1440

:wink:

1 Like

Which Jitsi link?

the one that is in the first post, the jitis, not the suse

When I entered, you were in the middle of saying there were too many people, so I left. Is there a live stream somewhere?

Moderator rejected me, sure hope this is being recorded for later viewing…