Nice day for a nap under a tree

A couple of weeks ago I attended a very small “star party”, which is a gathering of amateur astronomers, for observing, relaxing and generally telling tall tales. We were at a location in a rural south Mississippi area and for the first couple of days the weather was fantastic (before rain / clouds moved in). I put my reclining lawn chair under a big tree and enjoyed the blue skies, (uncharacteristically) low humidity and gentle breezes. Mostly I tried to stay awake…

While laying (lying?) there I took a few shots with my new cellphone (Samsung S23 FE). It appears to have handled the high dynamic range basically OK but there’s no getting around the physics of very small lenses.

Here’s my version processed in ART 1.21.3

20240501_141058.dng (23.8 MB)
20240501_141058.dng.arp (25.6 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

8 Likes

That is analogous to set/sit. You lay something or you set something in a place. But you sit or lie in a place. I.e., you were lying there. “I laid the baby on the bed, and she is still lying there.”

Or he lay there, unless I’m mistaken. :slight_smile:

20240501_141058.dng.arp (13.7 KB)

2 Likes

Simple

For fun:

7 Likes

Actually I was lying… because I never fully laid down. :smiley:

3 Likes

If you were lying then you laid; indeed you lay on the ground. (Past tense of lie is lay)

Let’s start grammar.pixls.us :slight_smile:

1 Like

I lied because i never laid, I only sat. Semi-reclined, yes, but just sat. Only it was Tues, not Sat.

Or was that sitted? LOL

My play, lying on the ground, a laid-back style :joy:

2 Likes

darktable and GIMP:

3 Likes

Here is my version done with darktable and custom film simulation scripts. Using playraw challenges as tests and to keep myself motivated. :grin:

2 Likes

20240501_141058.dng.xmp (8.4 KB)
I’m guessing the only star really visible from this vantage point was good ol’ Sol.

2 Likes

My fun with GIMP L-a-b

4 Likes

Try reclining sometime, which has been a common practice for much of history

I bet someone could lie or recline on one of these branches. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Perfect application for AI(LLM)-generation?!

1 Like

Branch? Oh no! Goto considered harmful
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: