Night BW shot using old LX7

If you take a look at the color image before you enable highlight recovery, you’ll notice that the issue is the sensor doesn’t clip very nicely, leaving artifacts at the edges of the lights. Could be partly due to sensor readout quirks (like the ol’ 5D2 black dots) or due to lens purple fringing.

Regardless of what causes the artifacts, this really messes up the highlight reconstruction.

One way you can deal with this in the monochrome conversion is to set highlight recovery to 1 (no clipping, no reconstruction) and then raise the red weight to keep the pink highlights from appearing gray. But this changes the look of things.

i have an idea …
maybe someone has the possibility to photograph a colorchecker with this b / w mode?
and can he provide the jpg and the raw file?
this should at least make it easy to reproduce the tone curve in DT.

I think it’s worth a try.

translated by …

RawTherapee 5.8

I tried to match the on the camera jpg.
My version is a little more contrasted, but they’re not so far.

P1050600.-4.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

1 Like

Lightzone (I’m still learning!)

1 Like

easiest way to keep the 11 when working in black and white is to yank the blue/green lightness in the color zones module.

P1050600.RW2.xmp (60.4 KB)

1 Like

Using RT I don’t get the artifacts. Perhaps we should port latest highlight reconstruction code from RT to librtprocess?

Have improvements been made recently?

If so, yes, please.

Yes, @jdc ported some changes from ART to RT. I will have a look…

1 Like

Raising the black point also helps. Filmulator is amazing!

1 Like

Wysyłanie: P1050600-SNS-HDR Lite_Dramatic-LAB.jpg

GIMP

Nice! How did you go from raw to Gimp?

As I mentioned here earlier, I respect time, at my age I don’t have it for theoretical games.
I also have darktable and other software,
sometimes I use SNS-HDR Pro, but for fast work I use
SNS-HDR Lite in this case a dramatic profile.
Processing time about 20 sec.
Then I open 32bit in GIMP of course. Colors, Components, Distribute and Lab Mode sequentially.
L channel denoises and sharpens.
Channels A and B, if necessary, denoising and color PoP setting.

The whole thing takes about 5 - 10 minutes
I developed a very detailed guide (the link was provided, but in Polish)
I do not know English at all, I translate Googl.
greetings

Thanks for your explanation…you mention a link but I didn’t see a document??

@priort

@priort
I’ve downloaded the document. Not sure if I can get it to you.

NP I found it…when I hit the link I got the waterfall image I forgot that there was a document…It translated nicely to English…

How did you translate the whole document?

Here…Had to do it in two parts and put it back together…it did a nice job from a quick scan…better than some French ones I have tried…https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/app/translationprocess-pdf

I’ve now had time to open @Zbyma72age’s version (not just check it on the mobile), and, while contrasty, I think the image lost more details than other colour conversions above. (This is not to depreciate the contribution; I’m always happy to receive advice and learn - thanks again!)

1 Like