Nik Collection free now. Good for Gimp and RT

The Nik Collection is now free. Another great collection to use with Gimp and RT.
Have fun! :slight_smile:

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

1 Like

I got all excited - then came crashing back to terra firma. No Linux version.

Sorry, I don’t mean to steal your joy, but this is so frustrating! I’m starting to think if a proprietary software vendor wont produce an app for all three operating systems, they shouldn’t be allowed to produce at all. Lets level the playing field, once and for all - yes Adobe, I’m looking at you too!

Rant over

1 Like

I got all excited - then came crashing back to terra firma. No >Linux version.

Oh, no! :frowning:

I don’t use Adobe but I am planning to use it with Gimp and IrfanView (can’t get some plugins to work in IrfanView).

@dngimage, you better can use ShellOut.py in Gimp. Here you can find that file:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24977

More information about ShellOut.py in the Gimpchat forum:

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=970&sid=708d4b3aa4a716a2f9563eda306faafd

You have to edit the py-file to let it work. That will take you some time. :sweat: :grinning:
For me it works with png, with tif I have a little error I don’t understand.

In Dfine 2 I had a problem with the zoom tool (windows) instead of the z-key, I had to use the alt-key.
This problem was there already 7 years ago. :smile:

Another thing to say is that this is a forum for open source software, not for freeware. I apologize, if I did something wrong here.

@iarga,
Thanks for the tips. :smile:

Doesn’t look like “free” software. Just a zero-monetary-cost one. Not the same thing…

Having used several Nik plugins in the past, they work well.

This likely signals the end of development for the desktop versions of these plugins, I can’t see Google plowing money into something that they’re not getting money/data from.

Hopefully they’ll make these libre instead of just gratis.

Also they’re going to continue building tools only for android? Not my taste. Does anyone here do any serious editing on android?

How do you use the Nik plugins with RT?
Export image from RT and then open with plugin??

They don’t work with RT, you’ll need to export a tiff, process the tiff with nik, then reimport the tiff to RT

As I suspected. Thanks for your reply.

@mikesan,
The only thing you can do is run something like this:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe

from RT’s Preferences → Other command line:

For now, RT can’t use *.8bf plugins… Although, It would be nice.

Here’s a link that explains how to use Nik if you don’t have Lightroom or modern enough version of Photoshop, like me.

http://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/06/15/using-the-nik-collection-in-a-stand-alone-mode/

It is explained that when you do it as a standalone it is destructive, you have to do it to a copy, there is no reversing the edits once saved.

@patdavid, I’m a little confused. What has this got to do with OSS? It appears proprietary, and is paid software ($149US after the free trial ends). Why is it allowed on this forum? Just curious…

1 Like

Bryan, it is no longer for sale, they’re even giving people refunds that bought it this year. Google is giving it away for free.

It’s not open source though.

1 Like

Guys, Open Source is great, but it does not mean other ways are evil. Some people do it for a living and they don’t oblige anyone to buy.

In this case it is not even possible to buy anymore.

Gret, great software. But it is probably going the way of Picasa.

I completely understand your concern. I try to be a little lenient with “free” software that may not be FL/OSS (within reason).

These were some very popular photographic processing tools even before Google picked them up. Now that they are offering it for free I can see where photographers would be interested in it (even if it’s not Free Software).

I don’t think we’re too far off base talking about this here, personally. It’s not something I’d add to the Software list though and I agree that it would be even better if they’d release it as Libre software.

Does anyone know folks at Google that we could petition to find out how we could let them know we’d love to see it as truly Free Software?

Just slap U Points in RT and be done with it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These must be seriously sophisticated algorithms.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to run it through WINE?

I think it is possible for RT to use these plugins the same way Gimp uses them. There will have to be an external program that acts like a pop-up menu where you can select what plugin to run. Gimp does it with a python plugin that in part looks like this:

programlist = [
[“Color Efex Pro4”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Color Efex Pro 4\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\Color Efex Pro 4.exe””, “tif”],
[“Silver Efex Pro2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe””, “tif”],
[“Viveza2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Viveza 2\Viveza 2.exe””, “jpg”],
[“Dfine2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Dfine 2\Dfine2.exe””, “tif”],
[“SharpenerPro3”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Sharpener Pro 3\SHP3RPS.exe””, “tif”],
#[“PaintDOTNet”, ““C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe””, “png”],
#[“Analog Efex Pro 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Analog Efex Pro 2\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe””, “png”],
#[“Photo Filter Factory”, ““C:\Program Files\Photo Filter Factory\Photo Filter Factory.exe””, “png”],
#[“Photo Pos Pro”, ““C:\Program Files\Photo Pos Pro\Photo Pos Pro.exe””, “png”],
[“Analog Efex Pro 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Analog Efex Pro 2\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe””, “png”],
["","",""]
]

The only thing is that Gimp is able to re-load the image once it is processed by Nik. I don’t think RT can do that, but you can save from the Nik menu.

Any way, just some ideas. :bulb:
Native 8bf RT support would be great too.