NIK usage in GIMP and "Dead Grave"in Filters?

Good morning,

Some time back I signed up for a free GIMP tutorial on Udemy which was provided by a gentleman named Bernard 't Hooft who teaches GIMP usage at at the VolksUniversiteit in the Netherlands.

Firstly, it’s an awesome course. I regularly use GIMP at work and thought I was pretty knowledgeable in it, but Bernard’s course has taken me to a whole 'nother level. Highly recommended.

Anyway, Bernard provides a plethora of support files, including the NIK collection and files to enable it’s usage from within GIMP.

Unfortunately after having installed all the various bits and bobs, I’m getting this “dead grave” in the filter access for the collection.

I’ve pinged Bernard on the Udemy site and his response was to make certain the entries in ShellOut.py for the locations of the Nik Collection were correct. My version is the same as his, but here is the crucial part:

programlist = [
[“DFine 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Dfine 2\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\Dfine2.exe””, “tif”],

[“Sharpener Pro 3 pre-sharpener”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Sharpener Pro 3\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\SHP3RPS.exe””, “tif”],

[“Sharpener Pro 3”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Sharpener Pro 3\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\SHP3OS.exe””, “tif”],

[“Viveza 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Viveza 2\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\Viveza 2.exe””, “tif”],

[“Color Efex Pro 4”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Color Efex Pro 4\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\Color Efex Pro 4.exe””, “tif”],

[“Analog Efex Pro 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Analog Efex Pro 2\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe””, “tif”],

[“Silver Efex Pro 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe””, “tif”],

[“HDR Efex Pro 2”, ““C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe””, “tif”], ["","",""]

]

I’ve double checked the locations and these are correct.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on “dead grave” and how to bring it back to life?

Thanks

chris

Instead of the basic shellout, try the individual plugins created by Partha Bagchi

see: Nik Collection - Page 2 • GIMP Chat

Hello,

Those two quotes drew my attention. After searching a little, I’ve seen that they’re required but they have a slash in between to escape quotes and path slashes. E.g.

["DFine 2" , "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\""," tif"],

I hope, it helps.

Cheers,
Rafa

The Partha Python routines work great. Thanks!

1 Like