[Nikon 1 AW1] Strange pink areas

Hi! I’m not an expert.

I’m trying to import a raw file (.NEF) taken by my Nikon 1 AW1.
As you can see here at the top of the image I get some strange pink areas

The raw file is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7H1dZy8Jy9ETGlFUFVDMGpKNjQ/view?usp=sharing

The rawtherapee version I’m using is 4.2.0 from Ubuntu, but also with the unstable version I’ve this issue.

Any helps? Thank you.

It looks like you pushed the red channel a bit too far? Based on the histogram view it looks like red might be clipping.

Are you referring to the pink in the clouds at the top of your image? It looks like it might be chroma noise, have you tried adjusting the Chrominance NR options (they should be below the luminance controls you show in your screenshot). I tend to allow aggressive chrominance reduction and don’t mind the luminance noise as much, personally.

DSC_8153.NEF.pp3 (9.8 KB)

Also, might want to use a newer RT (not even sure if this .pp3 will work on old versions).

Version 4.2.0 is ancient, on the RT home page, there are instructions to add a PPA to get the latest versions; I’m willing to bet that fixes your problem.

I’m talking about this areas

in another photo (with faces) the pink areas are bigger.
The issue exists with the standard options.

Also the unstable version (4.3?) has this issue with standard options, but the areas are smaller.

@patdavid your pp3 works! But I don’t get where it is the problem…I will study the difference, thank you very much!
Just for information, this is your standard options? Why this differences? Thank you.

The only thing I did in my pp3 was to increase exposure compensation a little bit, and turned on NR.

Found it!
The problem was the Chromatic Aberration! In my case was enabled by default.

Is this a bug? Do I have to report on github?

I wouldn’ t say it’s a bug. It’s imperfect raw auto ca-correction in some cases, for example images which need a lot of positive exposure correction. As a general rule: If your image does not show ca, don’t use raw auto ca-correction. Yes, I know it’s enabled in rt default profile…

1 Like