Nikon .nef raw convert to tiff

Hi all,
I’m looking for a way to automate processing large amounts of raw files. I can do cropping and resizing by ImageMagick. But the problem for me is converting from raw file to 16-bit tiff. I would to achieve a neutral result which provides Capture NX-D. But I can’t find the right tool and settings.
I tried to use dcraw, libraw but their output is difrent from Capture NX-D or Adobe CR.
Here are my files: https://filebin.net/gr3n0mwtz705l4mz
Can anyone help me with that?
Thanks
Jan

I would try RawTherapee. The Auto-match tone curve and a few other auto tools provide for nice output without a lot of work. You can use the batch GUI or from the command line.

Any software can do batch conversion on the basis of a standard profile. Try Darktable or Rawtherapee. I did a neutral conversion with both and the results are almost identical to what you consider the neutral outcome from CaptureNX…

1 Like

If Capture NX-D gives a good result, so why look for a program that will give the same result?

1 Like

Hi,
rawtherapee-cli looks good. Previously I did not notice conversion by profile option.

to yteaot: I need to automate the conversion process. Capture NX-D does not have command line control.

Thanks.

Perhaps not – but Capture NX-D has Batch processing.

I have a feeling that @Jan.Stritesky wants to use a script that does everything in one go.

If so, good old ufraw has a very decent cli (ufraw-batch) which is more controllable than dcraw and I have used it from within a bash script in the past - until DT/RT came of age and I found what I got with them far better than ufraw.

Something like

for i in "$@";do
  FILE="$i"
  FILE_NO_EXT=${i%.*}
  ufraw-batch $idfile $wb --create-id=no --out-type=png --out-depth=16  --output=- $FILE|convert  -unsharp 2x2+2.5+0.04 $srgb png:- $FORMAT:-> $FILE_NO_EXT.$FORMAT
done

with $idfile a previously created *.ufraw settings file and the rest of the variables more or less self-explanatory.

I am bad at writing scripts and use them. If I have more pictures of the same set I use darktable copy and paste xmp-files:

First I choose one picture and make new adjustments if necessary.

kuva

Then I copy new modules
kuva

Finally, I activate all other images and copy new modules to them.

kuva
Then I can export pictures to tiff or jpg or …

Is this slower compared to scripting?
At least here you can still adjust the pictures if necessary.