Nikon Z50 camera support

Got version 3.1.0~git1880.268670c25 and can open the file without problem.

You are right. I can use the darktable 3.02 with z 50 ’ nefs. Thank you all for the support.
Στις Τρί, 2 Ιουν 2020, 10:11 μ.μ. ο χρήστης pphoto via discuss.pixls.us noreply@discuss.pixls.us έγραψε:

Hey, I’m also using 3.02 and it still shows colour matrix not found. Did the update sort it out on Windows?

Good news - darktable 3.2.1 was just released and now it can open Z50 raw files. I’ve tested and the files open with no issues so far

Happy now

1 Like

Hello,

I have recently bought a nikon Z50. It works wel with darktable.
I see there is only standard color matric and not the enhanced one.
Do you need some sample of a color-checker to improve the support ? (documentation available ?)

@Amaury_De_Ganseman Welcome to the forum!

As you can see above, support has very much to do with the version. Which version of dt are you using? Where did you get it from? And what is your OS? The more info the easier it is for us to help you.

Documentation can be found here: resources | darktable.

The standard colour matrix is a reasonable compromise for a varied shooting conditions. The enhanced colour matrix is mainly of benefit if you are doing a lot of shooting in a studio or under some other situation with controlled lighting. In such cases, you can make a custom profile your sensor under that specific illuminant, and use it for the input profile. Is it really worth embedding such a custom profile into the darktable code? Maybe some of the devs here might comment, but I see that the majority of cameras are just using the standard matrix coefficients used by Adobe.

@afre thanks !
I’m using DT 3.2.1 on linux (Opensuse).
I have no problem just asking if I can help to improve support for the Z50 as I have one.

@Matt_Maguire WHen you say standard matrix, it’s a matrix for the Z50 ? Or the same for all DSLR ?

There’s one other situation where the matrix profiles fall short, extreme colors. In that case, I think darktable now has tools to pull those into better gradation for rendering in smaller colorspaces.

But for images without such challenges, the matrix profile is probably preferable as it, with a relative colorimetric transform intent, does a more linear translation of the camera measurements into renderable colors.

Disclaimer: Color Mechanic here, not a card-carrying Color Scientist… :smiley:

1 Like

The “standard matrix” is definitely camera-specific, it has to be.

When a new new camera comes out, Adobe will normally add support for it by adding into their DNG conversion software some matrix parameters that are based on profiling measurements of that new camera model. When adding support for a new camera, those same matrix coefficients are added into the darktable “standard matrix” database, and the entry relevant to your camera is what is used what you select “standard matrix” in your input profile module. For some cameras, people have done their own measurements, calculated their own set of coefficients and contributed them into darktable, and in that case they will be visibile in the input profile dropdown list for raw images matching that camera model. Finally, some individuals do their own camera profiling under some specific conditions, generate an ICC file, and put it in the “color/in” difectory in their darktable config directory. They can then select this custom ICC file in their input profile module.