Nikon Zf failed to read white balance information error

Hello everyone! Been using Darktable with my Nikon Df for a while now, but recently upgraded to a Zf. But when I try to edit a RAW file from the Zf, it gives me a ‘Failed to read white balance information’ error. I see that the base support for the Zf is there on the Darktable 4.6.1 release notes, so was wondering why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome! The release notes also say the support for the new Nikon high efficiency compression is missing. Only traditional lossless compressed raws are supported.

1 Like

Would you be able to supply an image so I could test it on V4.7 to see if it is supported yet?

Are you running version 4.6.1, you said you see it is supported in that version but haven’t said concrerely what version you’re running.

Yep, I am currently running version 4.6.1.

I have just tested using the images provided on this site:

and it works for me with version 4.6.1, no error message and I can select the case balance.

Have you used the Nikon software to move the images from your camera to computer?

Sure! I’ve linked an older image formatted with the Nikon High Efficiency Compression RAW. Test

Ah maybe this is why. Is the lack of HEC support an ongoing issue?

Not sure what you mean by “ongoing”. It is listed as a known issue in the release notes, as I said.

You can drag and drop a file into the forum here. I couldn’t access the image . It sounds like you are using compression and that is the issue at this stage. I personally never use RAW compression because I am unsure what I might lose in the process and besides a smaller file size I am not sure what I gain. It seems that compressed files have more issues with support in open source software. Good luck with your problem.