No lensfun in appimage?

The version of lensfun that is available for Fedora 28 is old and doesn’t support many of my lenses. I thought that I would try the appimage of RT to see if the lensfun is newer but it appears that the appimage doesn’t contain lensfun at all. Is there a reason not to include the latest version of lensfun?

Hi Barugon,

Notwithstanding your appimage experiment, you can try updating the lensfun database with the appropriate lensfun-update-data command. That will fetch the latest and install it on your system.

Which AppImage package did you download. The latest ones should have a working lens fun.

Also, which camera/lens are you trying to correct?

Sorry, my mistake. The lensfun version that has my camera (Sony A7RII) and lenses (24-105/4, 70-300/4.5-5.6, 55/1.8) is 0.3.95, which is alpha. :frowning_face:

So when I build lensfun, does it pull the latest lens definitions? I’m wondering for the RawThrapee flatpak that I build, since you can’t update the lensfun db in the flatpak.

Oh wow, I missed the lensfun-update-data command. That did the trick. Thanks. I honestly looked all over the lensfun site and couldn’t find a way to update the database.

No, the DB is not automatically updated by the build process, I have to do that explicitly in the appimage scripts.

Still I am surprised that wasn’t enough in the case of @Barugon. Could you upload a semple RAW file?

We still don’t know which AppImage @Barugon tried.

Updating the database fixed the issue and, as long as I have lensfun installed and the database updated, the appimage works too. I wrongly assumed that the appimage would would also contain the latest lensfun.

This should actually be the case! If it doesn’t, then it is a bug in the packaging process.
Could you tell me precisely which AppImage you downloaded and tested? Could you also provide a sample RAW file to reproduce the problem?

Thanks!

Here’s a link to the appimage I tried (I can only find this one):
https://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/linux/RawTherapee-releases-5.4.AppImage

If I uninstall lensfun and run the appimage then the dropdowns for camera and lens are empty and disabled. Even if they weren’t, how would it be possible to run lensfun-update-data without installing lensfun separately?

@Barugon
Could you try the most recent dev package from here?
At the time of writing it is RawTherapee-dev-5.4-854-ge99bcff.AppImage.