No OpenGL support with NVIDIA T4 GPU

Hello, we are using NVIDIA’s T4 GPU with Tesla driver 451.48.

It looks like Natron does not like it and complains that it can’t find a OpenGL-compatible GPU.

Is there anything I need to install/setup to make this work?

Thank you!

I guess you mean OpenGL? Tesla’s don’t have output and I guess that is the reason for missing OpenGL support?

What platform and version are you using? (Windows/macOS/Linux).

Ha! Yes, OpenGL (playing in too many sandboxes)

I am using Windows Server 2016

The Tesla is also the display output? Or do you use a different card of that? Are you planning to run Natron on that machine or is this for rendering?

Yes, the Tesla is displaying the output. I am using it on a Google Compute Engine VM.

This will be for interactive work and some ‘on the box’ rendering.

I did install it with the legacy option (I assume that is now doing a software emulation for the missing OpenGL hardware). This works as far as being able to work on the composite.

Ok, I only have experience with older Tesla’s that didn’t have output, they only worked with CUDA/OpenCL, not OpenGL. Unsure how newer cards handle this. If possible maybe add a GTX/Quadro or something for display output to accommodate the Tesla?

The legacy OpenGL option will do everything on the CPU, you may encounter low performance in the UI. The renderer should be fine.

Sounds good!

I also tried a NVIDIA M60, P100 and even a V100 (which are the options available in Google VM land) - neither was identified.
Interestingly enough V-Ray, 3ds Max, Maya and Substance Designer - all did recognize all of these cards as OpenGL compatible.

I’ll use the CPU emulation - do you know if it supports multiple cores efficiently? I can always increase the no. of CPUs on the VM…

I mostly test on GTX and older Quadro’s on Win 8/10, works fine there. But I have been hit by some driver releases that seems incompatible with Natron, unsure why.

Natron supports multithreading up to a certain point, newer Threadrippers and better may need adjustments in the threading settings in Natron (too many threads).

For (headless) rendering I recommend using Linux, we still have some threading issues on Windows, this results in NatronRenderer not exiting when done (if you run a headless render script it may not exit), this is a bit random (and seems related to OpenImageIO).

Excellent! Thanks for all the information!