No xmp for ver 0

For the last several weekly Windows builds of dt, I have found that after I open a raw in dt and then close it, instead of there being an xmp for the 0 version, there is nothing. To get it, I have been copying the ver 0 in lighttable, and then copying the version 1 and modifying the file name. I have been using a preset to change demosaic to AMaZE. Does that have anything to do with it?

If I just open and close an image in the darkroom, I noticed that after going back to the light-table, that image did not have the “edited” icon next to it. So darktable doesn’t consider an image with only automatic presets (user or system) applied as “edited”.

What setting do you use for “write sidecar file for each image” (under preferences=>storage) ? One of the settings is “after edit”…

I have “after edit”, which is what I have always had. Up until now there has always been an raw.ext.xmp file in the folder after I opened a folder containing a raw using “add to library.” I’ll turn off the auto preset and see what happens. Edit: removing the auto preset didn’t make a difference.