Node-based image editing

No plans yet. For IO and color space handling I am using OpenImageIO/OpenColorIO.

What functionality are you looking for?

Nothing specific, but I know that babl is node based on the backend and already provides a whole bunch of functions. I don’t have windows, so I can’t try this out yet, but it looks cool.

This already looks great ! Wonderful idea :slight_smile:

Does Cascade require additional libraries to be installed?
Cascade-0-1-5-Win10-x64 version starts fast - but I cannot display any type of image.
The cascade.log is attached.
With G’MIC it will be a great program. :wink:

cascade-log.zip (1,7 KB)

Hi, thanks for trying it out!

You need to press F4 to view the output of the node you have currently selected. Does that work?

Read: F4 - Switch between RGB output of selected node and alpha output. (switches View: Alpha output to RGB).
But I have nothing to edit - no image wants to be displayed and the screen will remain black all the time (except for blinking white at startup).
Thought Cascade might need the libraries: qt5 \ plugins \ imageformats ?

how did you implement the connectable nodes canvas ? in pure Qt ?

If you still get a black screen after selecting the Read Node and pressing F4 I’ll have to investigate what’s wrong. Your logs look fine. It might be a Radeon issue, I’ll see if I can reproduce that.

Yes it’s based on a QGraphicsView and the nodes are just items in that view.

1 Like

ok thank you! I have searched for something in Python in the mean time and have found this: GitHub - wonderworks-software/PyFlow: Visual scripting framework for python - https://wonderworks-software.github.io/PyFlow … which is backend agnostic (they have maya and 3dsmax backends already…)… Sorry I am bit off topic… Maybe I can do some 2d/3d generation with such a node-based framework some day, why not with gmic-py…

Sounds nice! It would also be straight forward to add a node in Cascade that lets you input a gmic command as text. Then these nodes could be chained together to create effects. Sort of like visual scripting.

1 Like

Yes this could even allow to generate audio or send an email etc…

I think you meant GEGL there :slight_smile:

Ah yes, I do, thanks.

I have just released a new version here: Release Cascade Version 0.1.6-pre-alpha · ttddee/Cascade · GitHub

Most of the GMIC filters are working, I am still working on the rest. I would also be curious to know what are people’s favorite “must-have” filters so I can prioritize a bit.

Hope everybody has a good Christmas!

2 Likes

This looks really interesting…I will definitely check it out over the holidays…thanks for sharing your talent…

@priort Did you end up giving it a try?

I did not have you??

No, which was why I asked, triggered by your reference to node-editing on the PlayRaw thread.

I think I might have tried and didn’t follow through for some reason…I have been watching vkdt but I have not built it yet and tried it out…I did experiment for a bit with Picture Window Pro…just to see how it worked but not in earnest…I do like the treelike organization for editing and there are some neat transforms there…its also got built in icc file creating and I have offered it as a nice solution to users that want to print in Windows and try something other than GIMP…

But I will have to revisit the Cascade project…I think the weather is now too nice to spend too much time indoors…it may have to wait…