Not yet canon raw files CR3 recognised by Rawtherapee

I just had a look around the internets and it seems like I can get the QP-Card 202 a lot cheaper than any of the others listed there on rawpedia. Is that one going to be good enough?

That should actually get to me pretty quick I think, I’m looking at it here B&H Shopping Cart | B&H Photo Video

I’m seeing the 202 listed on How to create DCP color profiles - RawPedia ?

It looks like you’d have to be a lot more careful with it than the ColorChecker Passport, however it is less than half the price.

I’m surprised that B&H would be faster than Amazon Canada for you.

Yeah amazon don’t seem to have that one…I do see they have the Datacolor SCK200 SpyderCHECKR 24…Rawpedia says “Datacolor SpyderCHECKR” but I don’t think this “24” one is exactly what they mean. The Datacolor SCK100 SpyderCheckr is more than twice as expensive. I probably can’t spend that much on a chart now right before Christmas (my Lego bill goes way higher than normal this time of year), but I can manage that QP or the SCK200 if that would work. I put out a few texts too to see if I can track one down in town I can use, never know.

Who, I’m kind of surprised ColorChecker Passport isn’t available from Amazon Canada.

But it is close to the SCK100 in price… So yeah, maybe the cheaper ones will do the trick. I like the fact that the Passport is semipermanently mounted in a plastic case which keeps it protected.

Yeah the ColorChecker Passport isn’t hard to find, just expensive. I’m going to order the QP one but I’ve gotta wait a few more days because my wife, having very graciously just watched me buy a new camera despite lots of obviously better ways to spend money, has inexplicably prioritized a bunch of other stuff over support for cr3 files…but only for a few more days lol.
Anyway maybe somebody else turns up in the meantime, but I’ll get one now before too long, probably 10 days or so until I’ve got it. Then I might also have to play the weather game for a few days to get the pictures.

1 Like

Hunt down one of these in the meanwhile:

361px-Gluehlampe_01_KMJ

Hi, the https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colorchecker-classic could go well ?? It’s more cheap.
I ask this because one close to me sells it for 20 euro and I could be interesting to make a profile for my camera…

@dafrasaga yes, it’s fine, just keep it clean and in a dark container so it doesn’t fade. If it’s used, don’t buy it if it’s old or faded.

Yeah I’ve ordered the chart a few days ago, I got a few dollars rebate for Black Friday lol, so went ahead and got the passport one, should be here in a few more days, now looking for one of those light bulbs, they’re actually not super easy to find anymore, I’ve been to a few stores, but I’ll be able to get one…Probably a good idea to hoard those things now.

So I got the colour checker, and a couple of days ago there was a brief window of clear sunshine, so I went out and had a go at taking the pictures, then did the tungsten indoors that night. Foolishly, I shot the daylight ones handheld, and at ISO 200 (Later that evening I learned the camera’s base ISO is apparently 100). So I had planned to re-shoot the daylight shots today on a tripod at ISO100, but despite the weather forecast calling for a clear, sunny day, its actually fairly dark overcast. Maybe I don’t need to re-shoot the daylight shots, they seem sharp and decent enough to me, here’s screenshots of them in RT:

I don’t mind re-shooting them, but given the weather the light getting more wintery with each passing day, I wonder if I should just go ahead with these ones I’ve got, there’s no telling when the sun might appear again, what do you guys reckon?

So I went ahead and made a DCP with Dcamprof and it seems to work pretty well, so I went ahead and uploaded the raw files and posted at the RT github. I also put the DCP file there on filebin, so anybody who has an RP and wants to try using my DCP in the meantime can go download it there: Filebin | ju4pgqwdpqwe3bry
That link will expire after a week I think but I obviously still have the DCP so if anybody wants it just let me know.

@Django ISO200 is no big deal, and 0622 looks fine.

Did you use a clear tungsten incandescent bulb for 0664? It looks fine too.

I will take a look at the raw files over the weekend.

Yeah I used a clear tungsten, I actually found one in my house after some digging, still haven’t found one in a store yet, when I do find tungsten they’re the frosty ones, when I eventually find clear ones I’m getting a bunch of them.
Cheers

Are you in the US or elsewhere? (Black Friday used to imply US since Thanksgiving is US-only, but I think we’ve infected the rest of the world with the Black Friday phenomenon even if they don’t celebrate turkey day.)

If you’re in the US - You can get 150W bulbs at Lowes. Usually it’s on the bottom shelf where they sell bulbs. I got my bulb and my clamp light there. (You can remove the reflector from the clamp light)

Hm… How would the “frost” alter the temp?

/Claes

No I’m in Canada, I ordered the color checker from the US, Black Friday does seem to be in Canada too though, but it was still cheaper to get it from the US. I’ve only been to a few places so far but I know if I go to one of the bigger stores or a specialized lighting store I’ll find them. I’m in the sticks so that means a trip to the city, which I was able to avoid a little while longer by finding one in my house lol.
@Claes I’m not sure if a frosted one wouldn’t be any good, but to me they seem to give a whiter looking light closer to daylight (higher kelvin?), than the clear ones which ought to give you unmitigated incandescent light, which I suppose is what you want. There are probably different kinds of frost, I don’t know, but I suppose none of them is going to be the same thing as clear. My house is similar to the stores I’ve been to in that there are tons of frosty ones laying around, but I was only able to find one clear one.
Once I go to a big store in a proper city I’ll probably find the mother load of clear incandescents and be able to get a bunch of them. Luckily for me I’m now going to be able to do that after Christmas.

Hm… Sounds as if I have to chase up a frosted/clear incandescent bulb of the same wattage/whatever to measure them myself. I’ll be back!

Ref: Spectral emissions from modern light sources (more graphs added)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

PS: Also see Difference between clear/frosty incandescent light bulbs

Raleigh Scattering is non linear.

1 Like

Is the scattering from a frosted lightbulb actually Raleigh scattering and not a plain refractive effect?

Raleigh scattering is what happens in the sky to make it blue.

It is has both Raleigh and Mie scattering components because of the variety of pit size in the glass frosting (acid etch). Both are refractive phenomena.