Notes on Astbury's `MyBase' video

I like this idiom!

Please show me the list of ‘allowed’ or ‘standard’ color spaces by the ICC. As far as I am aware, RawTherapee ICC color profiles are entirely compliant with the ICC standard, which you seem to disagree with. Is it not the whole purpose of the embedded ICC profile to ensure that proper conversions to local working color spaces can be made? If some software or hardware does not do conversions properly or only accepts some hardcoded profiles as being ‘right’, I would argue they are not compliant with the ICC standard, not us.

That being said: I believe the reason why RT does not ship with the exact files that represent some common profiles is because of potential legal infringements. ProPhoto was developed by Kodak, AdobeRGB by Adobe, etc. I’m not sure how valid these risks are.

They only do for sRGB and AdobeRGB. darktable also does not include the ProPhoto ICC profile as is. They have an option ‘Linear ProPhoto RGB’, for which Photoshop gives a conversion prompt as well.

Correcto! I forgot about that one.
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 11.28.10

But you can give DT the ICC standard output profiles by placing them in the correct folder and restarting DT - just like you can with RT.

You asked for a list of industry standard still imaging output colour spaces - it’s real easy and a very short list:

ProPhotoRGB
AdobeRGB(1998)
sRGB

I think @Thanatomanic meant “standard” as in formalized and written down, as in an ISO standard, and not “standard” as in popular and widely used.

I would like to understand this function. Once it is called on, once off.
When do you see a difference? And what do other RT experts say about it?

And you think those I listed are not???

I get a bit brassed off with your comments sometimes, so I’ll make you a deal - I won’t partake in this forum anymore except by PM - that way you won’t make my head ache.

No, as I understood the discussion, Mica was saying that there would be more than those you listed.

1 Like

I was hoping that you’d link to the standard that you’re taking those profiles from. Best I could find is ICC Profile Registry which looks like its print profiles only.

Sounds like a bad deal, I’d like it if you’d continue to participate.

3 Likes

Mica was entirely correct here: I meant that I highly doubt that any official ICC document describes any color space as ‘standard’. Since you claim RT does not hold to ‘the ICC standards’, this was my point of contention.

What I will concede is that the profiles you list are in fact described by standards. Just not by the ICC. And the ICC does not prescribe the use of these profiles as far as I am aware.

ProPhotoRGB / ROMM RGB

sRGB

AdobeRGB(1998) / opRGB

2 Likes

Your summary notes here are succinct. Bravo to you. A couple of thoughts:

• The Output Profile notes are especially welcome. I started to use the ProPhoto profile, but then remembered I don’t use LR/PS. :grinning: The fall-back recommendation for using RTv4_sRBG is a great suggestion. I’ve wondered which one of these to use in the past, so I’ll settle on this one for now. Somehow, I missed this section when I viewed Andy’s (helpful) video the first time around.

• I’ve never gone wrong using the L-a-b color space.

• Something you hadn’t mentioned, but is at the top of my list, is to get a hold of a camera profile from Adobe (readily available when you download ACR) and select it in Color Management. Check the boxes for the lookup table and tone curve before you start doing any deep level editing. I’ve been getting much better results from my final image using this method.

Thanks again for making these available. If you don’t mind, I’m going to make them available offline for my own personal use.

I’m sorry but both you and @paperdigits are being extremely obtuse. The context of @Andy_Astbury1 s use of the word standard is perfectly clear.

I know and have patience with people being and thinking differently but this is extremely literal thinking. What some standards document states is completely irrelevant. @Andy_Astbury1 clearly explains that many printers and software fail to handle profiles beyond the “industry standard” profiles he listed.

Now of course that’s a deficiency of those printers, software and perhaps people but that doesn’t matter because they decide if you get to print or sell your work. Naturally there will be geographical and business differences and some may have better support for other profiles. That is however a completely different discussion and is about how much you print and sell and where you do it.

1 Like

I understand that you think I’m being obtuse. I just do not like things to be semantically flexible when it comes to voicing criticism.

1 Like

So we shouldn’t seek clarity when there is an obvious misunderstanding?

Except when you’re talking about “ICC standard” and “non-ICC standard profiles” for inclusion in some software.

That’s great and all, except industry standard and ICC standard are not the same.

Honestly I’m struggling to see what your comment adds to this conversation.

1 Like

I don’t think the recent comments on this topic have anything to do with what the original poster wanted to share.

5 Likes

Perhaps, with any luck, we can get back to the OP subject line. @Thanatomanic, can you point to where @Andy_Astbury1 mentions to turn off Dead Pixels? I’ve watched all his RT videos and somehow must of missed that.

Thanks!

I think you should ask @plantarum who took the notes. I have not watched any of Andy’s videos in full tbh.

Rick - https://youtu.be/-Zz_t_pRdp4
Click the link in the description (click show more) and you can download any you need - .dcp profiles

3 Likes

@plantarum,

Can you link the video where @Andy_Astbury1 suggests to turn off Dead Pixels? I seem to have missed that one.

Thanks

I’ve updated the page to include:

Don’t turn on Dead Pixels and Hot Pixel Filters

Astbury previously recommended this, but no longer considers it a good default setting. These options are in the Raw tab, in the Preprocessing section.

Specifically, Andy has explained (in the comments below the default profile video):

I no longer class [dead pixels and hot pixel filters] as essential - they
only need activating if an individual image needs them. If they are not
needed they could prove slightly detrimental.

To which KuruGDI added:

When I take images with small grained details it’s sometimes degrading
the image quality for me with these settings. The software thinks that
these tiny spots should be fixed while in reality it’s just a small
detail. I could see this problem especially in area that were just
slightly out of focus.

2 Likes