NVidia Quadro P1000 / T1000 / M1200M (all 4 GB GDDR5)

Apologies for pushing a thread into a new post but I’m on a deadline against some good offers and in urgent need of advice.

If anyone could comment on these NVidia GPUs I’d appreciate it:
NVidia Quadro P1000 / T1000 / M1200M (all 4 GB GDDR5)

They’re in 15.6" 16:9 16GB RAM touchscreen Dell laptops within my budget though I’d rather prefer something smaller which seems to be too much to ask for.

I’ve gathered from the forum that the Intel UHD 620 in my preferred 2-in-1 laptop isn’t OpenCL compatible with DT.

Use case is noise reduction in DT and possibly elsewhere. As discussed in Linux laptop, touchscreen, 3:2 a viable alternative could be a desktop box instead. If touchscreen editing ends up being mandatory a wacom pad could be added.

Dark horse just rode in. A T460s ThinkPad with a NVIDIA GeForce 930M (2GB).

14" 16:9 so not ideal but alright, it’ll be tethered to a display on the studio desk most of its life anyway I guess.

I’ve been trying to find comparisons to my GTX1650 (as I know that works very well, if not exactly lightspeed)
The Quadro T1000 looks alright…

Not so sure about the P1000 - I’m finding it hard to find matching comparisons - and I’m not very knowledgeable about the finer points.

1 Like

The dark horse, the 930M might not be so good…

Edit: Another comparison. The P1000 seems slower that the 1650 I have, but it should still give a decent boost I would think (compared to no OpenCL)
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come in with some advice. :slight_smile:

thanks again Steven. Real world DT quirks remain unknown, OS and other factors probably also. I guess I might as well order something to test it properly.

1 Like

I think 4GB is probably a good minimum for a GPU - IIRC it affects the maximum image size you can work with before it has to start tiling, or splitting the image into portions and processing separately which isn’t good for performance. I think 4GB is alright up something like 20 or 24MP.

1 Like

found this precision-m3800-spec-sheet.pdf while NVIDIA searching for used touchscreen laptops:

• 3200x1800
  • i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz
  • NVIDIA® Quadro® K1100M with 2GB GDDR5
  • 1x nvme, 1x SATA slot

vs. the 1920x1280 Dell 5290 2-in-1 I’m almost settled on it’s 2x price, half a kg heavier, no USB 3.1 bandwidth or dock - but the extra pixels and 2GB GPU is under consideration.

The 2-in-1 (UHD 620, no OpenCL for DT apparently) would be supplemented by an ipad on the side for video editing and as external portable display so it’s not exactly apples to apples.