nvidia rtx 3050

Hello,

Does anybody use nvidia rtx 3050 with Linux? Which distro?

I’m planning a hardware upgrade but I saw some issue reports about unexpected driver shutdowns and flickering when dragging opencl windows

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rei,

I believe it says dragging openGL windows
(hm whatever the difference).

I am using nvidia propreitary driver (515.57) for my GTX 1600 Ti gfx,
which works fine. Present distro: Garuda KDE-git.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 with a 3060, and it runs without any obvious problems. That’s on X11 Gnome.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I think this is a GO in my plan to buy this one:

(Dell G15)

Its weakness seems to be the display, according to the review, which is not good for image processing. On the other side, I’m planning to buy the version with a better display and RTX 3060, it certainly is better than my old 2010 entry level i3 laptop, so, all in all, I’m really tempted to get this model.

1 Like

I have a G15 with a 3060, with Pop! OS it’s not bad, at least it’s supposed to have drivers for all GPU-related things, but I haven’t really tried them all yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
You are a Siril developer, aren’t you? Siril doesn’t use opencl, out of curiosity?

yes I am, Siril doesn’t use opencl and I don’t see that happening in the future unless an external contributor does it. There are more chances it happens with CUDA.

1 Like

If you’re interested in openCL performance, all I can say is that my RTX 3060 is an absolute beast for darktable, compared to the Vega 64 I had before. As in, five times faster. Especially on Linux, the difference was smaller on Windows for some reason.

I also have a work laptop with an RTX 3050 that I could benchmark. But it’s Windows only, so I didn’t mention it above.

2 Likes

Follow-up: I bought the G15 5515 as shown above, it arrived yesterday, I ditched Windows, installed Ubuntu 22.04 and darktable. So far so good.

Well… a slight difference to my old 2010 i3 Inspiron N4050 while exporting the same image:

1 - N4050: 301.086 secs (1129.812 CPU)
2 - G15: 4.138 secs (7.252 CPU)

My son said I have been a zen monk all these years… I think he’s right, it has been an exercise of stoicism.

One question: in order to have opencl enabled in darktable, I had to install the NVIDIA drivers, which I did in Ubuntu GUI. Does that mean that all display processing is also handled now by the NVIDIA, instead of the embedded GPU? Is that the way you discrete graphical cards owners, Linux users do?

2 Likes

Stunning improvement!

If I remember correctly, laptop GPUs are usually routed through the integrated GPU. Thus most of the time, the integrated GPU can do most tasks using little power, and the big GPU is only in the loop for 3D work. Look up “Nvidia Optimus” for more details.

Thanks, interesting and complex subject. Apparently that feature is behaving as expected because the gpu stays quiet most of the time, and nvidia monitor confirms that:

(While editing a raw file, the performance level increases on demand)

When I have time, I’ll dig more on that.

Now I’m focused on the only issue so far (not related to image processing): no HDMI sound when I connect it to the TV, something very well documented on the web and which seems to point to an alsa or pulseaudio bug (it doesn’t take into account gpus with sound capability as another audio device).

Not a big deal though.

It must’ve been driver related as the vega64 was a beast in compute tasks, even if two generations behind.

Back to the main topic: I run an rtx3080 and it has been pretty much a smooth sail without issues. My OS is arch linux with gnome mostlly with wayland, sometimes I use dwm when I need to be faster. Darktable still has some problems under XWayland so when I need to edit photos sometimes I go to X11.

1 Like

I wasnt aware that OpenCL was working on wayland. I just tried it on KDE fedora 36 with nvidia 3060 and it all worked in darktable.

2 Likes

Indeed, works really well. The only problem for me is the crop module, which to be fair also gives me problem under X11.

Run darktable -d opencl
Look for [opencl_init]. There it will list a number (eg. 0, 1) next to your gpu. Mine is 0. If you have two, there will likely be a 0 and 1.
Open darktablerc in .config/darktable/ and find opencl_device_priority
It will look something like this:

*/!0,*/*/*/!0,*

For me, it means this:

0 use this gpu
!0 do not use this gpu
* use whatever is available
, means try this, then that. (eg. !0,* means first try not to use this gpu, otherwise use whatever is available).
/ separates the different tasks.

If you have two gpus you will also have the options of 
!1

Therefore, you can choose which GPU - 0 or 1 - performs which task.
Info is here: darktable 4.0 user manual - multiple devices

Also check your darktable preferences, that multiple GPU’s [EDIT: “default”, not “multiple GPUs” - thanks @kofa] is selected under OpenCL scheduling profile in processing tab.

Sorry, but this is wrong. The device priorities are only checked if you use the scheduling profile default.

See

if your system is equipped with more than one GPU, you might want to set the relative device priority manually. To do this you need to select the “default” scheduling profile and change the settings in the “opencl_device_priority” configuration parameter

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/opencl/multiple-devices/

1 Like

Thanks @Tim and @kofa .

Actually, I wasn’t thinking about darktable, yet, but a step behind, at the OS level.

@bastibe gave me the direction where to start from (although in this case, Optimus doesn’t apply because the onboard card is AMD, not Intel, but the idea was enough to start a basic understanding of how those things work)

2 Likes

I know this topic is a bit old, but would you mind to compare the performance of the rtx 3050 and 3060 for darktable, if you have the time? I’m currently interested in a notebook that has one of those, but I’m not sure what kind of performance to expect from it.
Thanks!