Oh my dear deer!

I have very much enjoyed your tips for my previous photo.

In the case of this photo (like the previous one), I have also preferred the camera jpg to my edit in some regards. Interestingly, after some time, I have started to like my (original) edit more than the camera jpg. So it may be a thing of custom.

Nevertheless, my edit is surely a beginner’s one and I would love to see your takes on this photo.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3942.CR2 (27.5 MB)
IMG_3942.CR2.xmp (10.0 KB)

This files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

8 Likes

Nice shot. Reminds me of the doe leaving the woods, shaking her head, saying “I’ll never do THAT again for two bucks.”

My ART sidecar:
DSZ_1481.NEF.arp (12.0 KB)

Thanks for the woodland romp!

3 Likes

Oh, that pun! :rofl:

:blush:

My quick try.

IMG_3942.CR2.xmp (10.1 KB)

Thanks for sharing!
An unrealistic, dreamy (or nightmarish!) version

IMG_3942.CR2.xmp (28.9 KB)

the grass is always greener on the other side …

1 Like

My version…

IMG_3942_01.CR2.xmp (16.3 KB)

9 Likes

if you mean down South, yeah, you’re probably right… :sunglasses:

1 Like

IMG_3942-2.jpg.out.pp3 (13,7 KB)

3 Likes

dt 4. I really like the colors, especially on the deer’s tail and left antler.

IMG_3942.CR2.xmp (7.0 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0.1

IMG_3942_03.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

5 Likes

IMG_3942 (2).jpg.xmp (3.2 KB)
Not sure that this adds much to the images already uploaded. I cropped it to create a frame for the deer. I added saturation to the coat of the deer and raised the exposure in the eye to bring up a gentle highlight. Then a little saturation to the whole image.

4 Likes

@casnor Noreen - Perhaps it’s just my screen, but your jpg image is not visible, just an “uploading…” message, although the timestamp suggests it was posted an hour ago.

I suspect you didn’t let the upload of your jpg run to completion. Sometimes it can take a while and you have to watch the progress percentage counter until it reaches 100% before moving on to another activity. Perhaps you can simply edit your post above to include the jpg?

Of course, if anyone else can see it, then it’s simply an issue at my end.

@ejm Thanks. I deleted it and added it again. I think you should be able to see it now.

1 Like

You got it. Nice treatment!

Here is my attempt. Cropped closer to the deer to remove distractions. I hope I did not over sharpen the image as I used the high pass module on this image for sharpening.

IMG_3942.CR2.xmp (6.5 KB)

3 Likes

I like your attempt. Inspired by it, I wanted to overdo it :slightly_smiling_face::

1 Like

RT5.8 dev

IMG_3942-1.jpg.out.pp3 (17.0 KB)

1 Like

My version…

1 Like

Picasso, "there is no abstract art.” His works pursued abstraction but in a way that always took reality as a starting point, and worked in a way that always left an imprint of the real on the canvas, despite its abstract appearance.

I found this quote after a google where I was looking for Picasso’s view that all art is abstraction; er, even the out of camera jpeg

I must admit if I was a picture editor I would not be using the out of camera jpg interpretation often, although I’m impressed by them; even the camera manufacturers seem to be moving towards working with Raw.The OOC jpg seems to be developing the role of a check to avoid criticism from a public armed with phones and memories of analogue photography

I had an interview on another issue with an ‘innovator in residence’ whose advise to me was to be mindful of the gap between what works in abstract theory and practise so in my photography I try and make the practise come first; sometimes the purists are proved right, sometimes not. Not even purists seem to be advising using Adobe RGB ,looks good in theory

always had to mind the gap on the London tube a long time ago

When I get the time I want to experiment with colour calibrating the camera for light, shadow and cloudy and experimenting with blending using the results on a single image I think open source software is well up to this