Oh, quickcollection, where art thou?

One thing I sorely miss in Digikam is the quickcollection-feature of Lightroom. One of the goodies of LR.
Would be more than nice to have. Not only in Digikam but in Darktable too, BTW…

.M

Not being familiar with Lightroom, you’ll need to explain this concept thoroughly.

Quick collections are like a virtual (temporary) album and a essential part of many photogs’ workflow in Lightroom.
Think of it as a special kind of lighttable.
In LR you can for example browse your imported files and add those you want to examine further to the quick collection. From there you are e.g. able to make the “catalog” (AKA album in Digikam) of their own.
Or you select a whole bunch of pictures in the quick collection for printing or burning etc.
In Digikam/DT one might try to mimic that behavior by tags, but that is not the same and much less effective.
Here is a demonstration of that nifty feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AAiY761J0

.M

Seems like a tag bound to a hotkey would do this just fine… but I guess people are picky about their workflow.

Nope, it is a lot more than that. But if you never worked with LR professionally you probably can’t understand…

.M

The video showed the feature, but I guess I don’t get why it is super important. There are many ways to tag and filter your images in both digiKam and darktable.

Yes, I know. This is true. And not the point.

.M

This sounds similar to what people have been asking about sorting images in darktable (was it dt?).

The thing is, if you want to get it, you will need to be able to get exactly that point across. Admittedly I don’t have the time to code this, but say I did - what exactly would I have to do except for having a tag like thing that you can assign pictures to?

I do see the utility of this. I think the attraction of such a feature is to quickly compartmentalize your images. Say you are a gumshoe who is trying to solve a murder. You have those fancy lighted glass panels where you sort your evidence. Now apply that scenario to photography :joy:.

It is not so much about sorting actually. It is more about creating a temporary collection you can do all kinds of things with. But yes, it would be as helpful in Digikam as it would be in Darktable.

.M

Well, Simon, I tried to describe what the quick collection can be used for and what the distinctive feature is. The video I linked to gives a demonstration of it. And there are hundreds more. But someone who never worked with LR on a daily basis (to suit the needs of customers ) may still not get the idea and think it is like assigning a tag to a key. Duh…

.M

Sorry to be frank (long day), but as long as you repeat “you need to have used LR extensively” as a explanation, there is no point discussing this any further, because you then haven’t got the point yet, which is exactly that somebody that hasn’t used LR extensively will probably have to design this feature.

1 Like

Can we please drop the condescending tone?

2 Likes

I viewed this one video you linked. And it absolutely doesn’t matter that there are hundreds more.
For me, the key feature shown in this video is, that you can preselect a collection / tag and then go through your pictures and by a single key-press add pictures to your pre-selected collection / add the preselected tag to your image. The multi-selection is also nice btw.

Usablility wise that’s a nice feature. Naming it a collection or a tag doesn’t matter imho

3 Likes

@afre this was the other thread you were referring to:

It’s not exactly the same thing as @klikkk is asking for, but the two would be complementary. Use the tool requested here to create an arbitrary collection, and then use the tool requested in the other thread to put the arbitrary collection in an arbitrary sequence.

It seems to me like a lot of duplicated effort to put something like this in DigiKam and in darktable and in whatever tool someone turns their eyes to next…

Can we please drop the condescending tone?

Um. Let’s stay on topic. See: https://discuss.pixls.us/faq.

@heckflosse Yes, that is what I meant, quick being the operative word.
@elGordo I know. Thanks for linking the thread.

Yes, Ingo, collection or tag - the name does not matter.
BTW: I only mentioned the hundreds of other videos to give a hint that there is a lot more information about this key feature of LR available. If needed.
As I mentioned: You can try to mimic the LR-feature by using tags - but it is not the same. Also Digikam is lacking the possibility to do all kinds of things to such a collection/tag-group.

.M

If you can’t provide a through use-case for this feature and outline what’s missing/what needs to be added to the GUI, I don’t think anyone is going to add the necessary code. Saying “go watch all the videos” is not helpful. For better or worse, there are not a lot of Lightroom users here, so nobody is too familiar with how it works.

3 Likes