Oh, quickcollection, where art thou?

It is not so much about sorting actually. It is more about creating a temporary collection you can do all kinds of things with. But yes, it would be as helpful in Digikam as it would be in Darktable.

.M

Well, Simon, I tried to describe what the quick collection can be used for and what the distinctive feature is. The video I linked to gives a demonstration of it. And there are hundreds more. But someone who never worked with LR on a daily basis (to suit the needs of customers ) may still not get the idea and think it is like assigning a tag to a key. Duh…

.M

Sorry to be frank (long day), but as long as you repeat “you need to have used LR extensively” as a explanation, there is no point discussing this any further, because you then haven’t got the point yet, which is exactly that somebody that hasn’t used LR extensively will probably have to design this feature.

1 Like

Can we please drop the condescending tone?

2 Likes

I viewed this one video you linked. And it absolutely doesn’t matter that there are hundreds more.
For me, the key feature shown in this video is, that you can preselect a collection / tag and then go through your pictures and by a single key-press add pictures to your pre-selected collection / add the preselected tag to your image. The multi-selection is also nice btw.

Usablility wise that’s a nice feature. Naming it a collection or a tag doesn’t matter imho

3 Likes

@afre this was the other thread you were referring to:

It’s not exactly the same thing as @klikkk is asking for, but the two would be complementary. Use the tool requested here to create an arbitrary collection, and then use the tool requested in the other thread to put the arbitrary collection in an arbitrary sequence.

It seems to me like a lot of duplicated effort to put something like this in DigiKam and in darktable and in whatever tool someone turns their eyes to next…

Can we please drop the condescending tone?

Um. Let’s stay on topic. See: https://discuss.pixls.us/faq.

@heckflosse Yes, that is what I meant, quick being the operative word.
@elGordo I know. Thanks for linking the thread.

Yes, Ingo, collection or tag - the name does not matter.
BTW: I only mentioned the hundreds of other videos to give a hint that there is a lot more information about this key feature of LR available. If needed.
As I mentioned: You can try to mimic the LR-feature by using tags - but it is not the same. Also Digikam is lacking the possibility to do all kinds of things to such a collection/tag-group.

.M

If you can’t provide a through use-case for this feature and outline what’s missing/what needs to be added to the GUI, I don’t think anyone is going to add the necessary code. Saying “go watch all the videos” is not helpful. For better or worse, there are not a lot of Lightroom users here, so nobody is too familiar with how it works.

3 Likes

My comment wasn’t meant as condescending, and wasn’t even directed at an individual. I’ll spell out in more detail what I am getting at…

Last month there was a request for collections that would support arbitrary ordering, for darktable.

Today, there is a request for quick collections from arbitrary folders, for DigiKam and darktable.

At some point, someone is going to request something similar for, say, RawTherapee.

Does it make sense to independently add the same functionality to package after package after package, or does it make more sense to build a common collection manager that can pull together files from arbitrary directories and allow them to be put in an arbitrary order, and then get to the editing tool of choice via right click context menu? The latter would even allow inclusion of other types of files in the collection, such as article text, presentation slides, and so on.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. I think, it’s a nice feature worth to mimic because it may save some time.

But I was a bit upset by your mentioning of hundreds more videos, as I prefer getting to the point over quantity and I also don’t like this look at all the hundreds of other posts(videos), which confirm what I write stuff :wink:

Good point. And - much to your surprise - I’d agree.
I’d be happy to use just “one ring to bind them all”. Darktable OR Digikam, that is. But, alas, this is not possible currently.

.M

Yes, it is a time-saver. And a generally funky feature.

.M

Never mind.

.M

If you read my posts, you’d know that I did NOT use "“you need to have used LR extensively” as “explanation”. This is rabulistic BS.
Take care.

.M

You’re asking someone to do something for you. They asked you to clarify what you want, and explained why your request needed to be made clearer. And now you’re calling their response BS.

That’s not how we roll here.

5 Likes

Perhaps you would like to google the meaning of “context”.

.M

I’m sorry, this seems to be headed no where positive, so it is locked; it maybe unlocked in the future.

Please consider exactly what is being requested in terms of resources when making a feature request. An outline of what is necessary and general expectations are explained well in the answer to this meta StackExchange question: How do I write a good feature request?.

File feature requests in the correct place, not here.

When filing your request in the proper place, make sure you describe it adequately. Hint: “you probably can’t understand” is not it.