Old edits now display as black thumbnails after updating to a newer version

Can someone please explain what would cause this to happen?

After upgrading to a new version of darktable, for example 4.2-4.7, some of the older edits added to the library for additional editing show up in the lighttable as black thumbnails. The only way to see the thumbnail is to discard the history stack. Is this caused by modules being upgraded or by something else?

I have something similar:
I have 2 computers; a desktop at home and a portable located remotely.
I backup the desktop and then carry the backup disk to the remote location. I then delete the library on the portable and ‘add to library’ the backup drive material.
Some, but not all, of the images are black/green/red/blue’.
I then need to reset the white-balance to 6500 to solve the situation.
I am now assuming that I need to fully delete my Picture file and then copy-&-import from the backup disk to avoid the problem.

If you run them on the same version and are not really using the library…an assumption I will make as you say you delete it then why not run DT with the :memory: option. This will make a temp library and delete it when you are done DT. In essence its a way to use DT primarily as an editing tool… You might also turn on look for new sidecars just to be sure each time you run DT one either computer that it uses the newest sidecar… maybe this has an element that won’t work for you but it is a thought??

I believe that my original question was not clear so I re-wrote it. See above.

@priort What is the memory option in darktable? I always remove images from the library after the edits are completed. So, I’m wondering what settings I could use in order to run darktable strictly as an editing tool.

DT can be started with a number of options… one is that which I noted…

The options are presented here…

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/program-invocation/darktable/

The option to do the temporary virtual database is a variant of the --library command option…

I have just noticed the black thumbnail issue on several images having trawled back in time in my library yesterday. Can someone explain what the issue is? I always understood darktable retains prior edits across releases, which I thought meant that at some future date a new export can be made and exactly the same output image would be produced. I don’t like the idea of going into an already-edited image and changing a module’s settings to fix this problem.

To troubleshoot the issue, please share the darktable -d common output along with OS, dt version and an image/ old xmp. We are in feature freeze before Release of 4.8 in a couple of weeks.