Old Railway Trestle

This reminds me of public school winter carnival where you got to take out the Tempera paint and throw it on the snow to make “art”… :slight_smile:

Trestles.RAF.xmp (16.2 KB)

Trestles_01.RAF.xmp (17.3 KB)

I have to agree that neither filmic or sigmoid is really needed for this image. This is a rather colder version than I previously offered.

4 Likes

I’ll explain my thinking on this one. I show small JPEG versions for bandwidth reasons.

First, make a simple sRGB version, and chop off the right-hand black border:

%DCRAW% -v -w -6 -T -O x.tiff Trestles.RAF

set SRC=x.tiff
set SRC2=x2.tiff

%IMG7%magick ^
  %SRC% ^
  -bordercolor Black -border 1 -trim +repage ^
  %SRC2%

x

I am happy with the overall lightness and contrast. If we want numbers: mean=0.678163, standard deviation=0.159367. Increasing mid-tone contrast would give more clarity in the distant trees, but at the expense of the dark wooden panels and light snow textures.

To make a prettier image, we can increase local detail and chroma. Local detail is by extrapolation from a blur, where the blur is a simple guided filter using integral images with a 100x100 pixel window, and factor 4 subsampling for speed. (See Guided filter.)

set BASE=blr.tiff
call %PICTBAT%guideFilt %SRC2% . %BASE% simple integ 100x100 . 4

set mult=2

%IMG7%magick ^
  %SRC2% %BASE% ^
  -poly %mult%,1,%%[fx:1-(%mult%)],1 ^
  +write out.miff ^
  -colorspace HCL ^
  -channel 1 -evaluate Multiply 3.0 +channel ^
  -colorspace sRGB ^
  out2.miff

The result with increased local detail is:
x2

The result also with a massive increase of chroma, a factor of 3, is:
x3

I think this image is clearer and prettier than the first image I showed. And I don’t like it, for those reasons. For me, this image in its “unpretty” form captures a cold bleakness that seems appropriate, a scene that fades into a background of featureless gray.

2 Likes

“Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow”

2 Likes

DT 4.0.1

Trestles.RAF.xmp (13,5 KB)