Old Railway Trestle

Trestles.RAF (54.3 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
This image has been part of a recent and interesting conversation over dynamic range. It is offered to those who would also like to have a crack at the snowy trestle.

10 Likes

First!
I love snow!
Darktable 4.0.1

2 Likes

Trestles.RAF.xmp (26.3 KB)
XMP is for the last one…adds a masked bloom in D&S to the backdrop otherwise the same steps as the first image

Scrolling this page is fun: feels like I am jumping up and down on the bridge.

Minimal take with RT capture sharpening and custom G’MIC denoise, texture, brightness, contrast and resize adjustments. Zoom to enjoy!

1 Like

A little too colourful for my taste. Here is my take, the background is blurred and converted to black and white

Trestles.RAF.xmp (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

My version… ( filmique )

Trestles.RAF.xmp (14.8 KB)

4 Likes

In such a low contrast image I don’t feel the need to use any tone mapper. This is just Exposure, Color calibration, Color balance RGB and a bit of Local contrast with the background excluded. D&S sharpening. Darktable 4.1.

Trestles.RAF.xmp (15.2 KB)

3 Likes

I used sigmoid… not sure it’s really relevant for my edit though.

Trestles.RAF.xmp (17.2 KB)
I was interested that none of the other edits are as blue as mine - to me, snow doesn’t look ‘right’ in this sort of scene unless it’s a bit blue. It’s probably just me!

4 Likes

Trestles.RAF.xmp (10.1 KB)

I think you are on the right track. I didn’t use filmic or sigmoid either and I’m pretty happy with the contrasts in the snow (edit: as i’m looking the jpg, i might have even overdone the snow :man_shrugging:). I tried to bring a cool winterly touch and a subtle focus to the end of the trestle.

Trestles.RAF.xmp (40.0 KB)

Thanks for providing the raw :+1:

2 Likes

Who else but a photographer to be out in such weather!

old-railway-trestle-Trestles.RAF.xmp (17.2 KB)
dt 4.0.1

The xmp has denoise on, but the image posted here has it off, as I like the film vibe it gives.

1 Like

Thank you for the play.

With GIMP and G’MIC:

1 Like

And a colour version.

old-railway-trestle-Trestles_03.RAF.xmp (17.1 KB)
dt 4.0.1

Had to try to follow my own recipe on how to edit this image using the new sigmoid module. The history in the metadata is swapped around a bit as I was curious to what the effects were after the fact.

I quite like to add just a hint of color global offset in color balance rgb in a picture like this. Gives the shadows a nice while maintaining fairly white snow.

Might be my editing environment today but keeping it darker felt like I could bring out more color and character in the snow.

4 Likes

Unhinged version: definitely went too far. :crazy_face:

Trestles.jpg.out.arp (11.2 KB)

err looks like incontinence, if you ask me…
SCNR :speak_no_evil:

or as we say to the children: “nicht den gelben Schnee essen!” (don’t eat the yellow snow) :wink:

1 Like

Another version, this time with Sigmoid

Trestles_02.RAF.xmp (14.8 KB)

2 Likes

Lots of great edits and I think it covers a nice spectrum of examples that prompted a comment that I made to @davidvj . There is a fine line and a real art to giving the snow some contrast and texture without making it look like you are near a blast furnace and the air is fool of soot…

There is another playraw with a child running up a hill and most of the snow is blown out… many would argue for a more blown smoother rendering in many cases for snow. That was a brighter image and that look worked better even though I think the OP was looking to add detail and contrast for that one… Here I think its almost the opposite and you need to take care not to…but it does seem that many are editing to a taste that is basically defined in the ON1 presets as grunge… very dark and contrasted .

2 Likes

With DT 4.1.0

Modules to highlight:

• Detalle o nitidez → Difuse o sharpen-> dehaze
  • contraste-> highpass

20221210_Trestles.RAF.xmp (11,1 KB)

Greetings!

Edit:
Let me give you a final touch for a nice Christmas card: :christmas_tree:
I add modules blurs and vignetting:

20221210_Trestles.RAF_01.xmp (13,1 KB)

Greetings again!