Olympus m.Zuiko 30mm makro Lens in lensfun db but not recognized by dt

Hello together,
with my olympus lens, here the exif data string:
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm F3.5 Macro

this is in the lensfun db with the following string under model:

Olympus M.Zuiko ED 30mm f/3.5 Macro

it is the right mount and we only have one 30mm makro lens for
mikro 43. So is my exif wrong or the db entry?

ok, thought that it could be an import bug, so i check the raw with exiftool:
Lens ID : Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm F3.5 Macro
Lens Model : OLYMPUS M.30mm F3.5 Macro

dt does not recognize the lens. Wrote a mail to a lensfun dev, no answer til today, so my question here:

1. Is it a string detection error, so i simply change the string in the db? I tried this without success.
  2. what is the right way to report it, bug to lensfun?
  3. how can i fix it in the meantime?

System: darktable 4.2 from opensuse repo, Fedora 36 mate desktop, lensfun 0.3.3

greetings and a happy new year

Hi, ok found the solution for me, in the past i did not recognized, that the whole string and not only the f/3.5 is wrong. So i edit the lensfun db file(here mil-olympus) and change the line under model to:
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm F3.5 Macro

Now the autodetect and on/off of the module works, so only question 2 is open for me:

Under Linux, it is possible to use a file .exiv2 (in your home directory), where you can define the string associated to a lens through its lens ID number. See the Exiv2 manpage (scroll down to “CONFIGURATION”). Perhaps that can solve your issue?

Hi rvietor,
thx, i didn’t know that. It could be a solution or workaround, if exif2 is used by dt to read exif data and wrote it into the db.
I think, after importing a raw, the exif data is in the db or the xml, so exiv2 never runs again and dt is only looking into the lensfun db.

If dt uses exif2 to read the exifdata from the raw, this could be a solution or workaround for me, cause i think my mil-olypus will be overwritten after the next lensfun update.
Thank you!

FYI neither lensfun nor exiv2 consider this a bug. There are slight variations in the lens name depending on several factors such as region. Just use the ~/.exiv2 file to correct the name.

While strictly speaking you are right. It is utterly stupid that each and every user has to apply this same workaround manually. We as the opensource community at large should aim to give a better user experience than that.

1 Like

Do you have a raw sample?

Hi Peter,
of course i have one, but for what?
Everything is said. For me it looks like a missing standard in writing stuff in a raw (no LOCALE, where english is the base, more or less). I have a workaround, tweaking a .config or .ini file is not suitable for me, i like the change in the lenfun db directly, so all my lens corrections will work.

When u still need a raw, i make a black one for you :wink:

No need then ^^

1 Like