OM-1 Support in Darktable

I understand.

Prior to settling on the OM-1 I looked very hard at the Sony A7IV and a couple of lenses. My priority was weight reduction without compromising on image quality. I know various reviewers (both professional and amateur) have criticized the IQ of the OM-1, but I’m finding that the system yields very sharp images - and often amazes me with the results. I don’t have a clear idea of what the critics are on about apart from the lack of subject isolation. (DPReview were quite clear in their comparison at an ice hockey game about a year ago.)

I am quite confident that at some stage OMS will continue to develop their “computational” photography and solve the major criticisms (I recall the adjustable bokeh slider that Apple introduced a few years back and expect that the software for that has only been improved with time). I don’t believe that whoever bought OMS did so intending to drop support and development for the M43 format. They’d have to expand their camera market share dramatically to justify moving into a larger-format sensor/system and even if they did, that is unlikely to happen overnight.

I am delighted with the system quality - the build and ruggedness are all superior to my Fujifilm. Plus on a comparable system, I saved over 2kg. I’m 66 this year and don’t want to lug too much weight around any more.

With all that said, like me, you have to be satisfied with your decision - not me, not the critics, not the seller - and whatever that is, I’m confident it will be right for you. I wish you every happiness with your choice regardless of what it might be.

1 Like

complete random post out of nowhere. But I finally bit the bullit. After some more reviews and remarks, I decided the OM-1 was ‘too pro’ for me :). It gives a lot of iterative updates which combine into quite a good experience, but the previous E-M1 m3 wasn’t bad from the even older models I’m coming from.

After reading and seeing that the ‘ai’ modes from the OM-1 are not used for basic human subject and eye detection, and that in those cases the Olympus quirks of any previous model are still there… The OM-1 didn’t give me any major new features / possibilities. So I went to look for an E-M1 m3. Then found an in-store demo model, never left the store, < 600 clicks on it, complete original in box everything, even a quick check up and sensor clean on it by the store and a year of warranty, two Olympus batteries total. For around 1100,-.

Can’t wait to play with it and set it up, but I have to work :pensive: . And I have to sell my E-M10 m1 now, and my Sony A7 m2 and all E-mount lenses.
And might a well put my older Sony SLT A65 with a collection of A-mount glass ‘up for auction’ and clean out the closest. Then I at least have an excuse to fill it with Olympus pro glass :wink: .

1 Like