On the search for a good DT workflow

darktable
rawprocessing

thanks for the great respones. They are really helpful. Especially @MotoFotoe: it is nice to see the current workflow of some folks.

I am currently evaluating some of the PLAY-RAW threads and they seem to help a lot. I think it is not necessary to upload a picture, as I was pointed to the right directions from your answers. Thanks for that. Very great and helpful forum :+1:

I think I will find my way. Once again I recognize how important it is, that people make helpful tutorials.

PS: I’m not sure, if I should like that there is a windows version. Now I have nothing at work what holds me back from editing some playworks in the office. Just kidding… :wink:

I would still recommend to upload samples you struggle with to get the look you want but have an example yielded by another software.

(Charu) #23

I am looking for its tutorials especially suited for beginners. Can anyone help?

Hi @charumal and welcome!

Here are some good ones:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=darktable+harry+durgin&t=canonical&ia=videos

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

(Charu) #26

Thanks @Claes. I found a list as well. https://hackr.io/tutorials/learn-darktable

Thanks again.

I realize this is an old posting, nonetheless I’m curious to hear what problem you had with Fuji & DT.
I’m using it and so far I’m very happy with the results.

(keith) #28

@andrayverysame, Hi,
Firstly before anyone gets the wrong impression, I’m a BIG darktable fan :grinning:
My only problem is with the sharpening of the files, I find the RL deconvolution with damping set to zero, leads to a clean detailed file. Also the demosaicing in RT might add to this
I’ve tried and tried to get the same “clean” detail in dt but cannot.
So I’ve a preset in RT, demosaic, Standard film curve low iso, RL deconvolution (damping at zero)
Run my raws through RT and save either as Tiffs or jpegs and open in darktable to do the rest.

You might ask, why don’t I stay in RT to do the editing, well I never been able to get my head around the fact that you have to be at 100% to see the effect of certain modules, take sharpening for example, when zooming out, the image looks soft, so I cannot tell if it needs a little more contrast, I’ve tried having plenty of detail windows open but I guess it just doesn’t suit me.

Both softwares are excellent BTW.

Thank you @ukbanko

Hm… I’m not sure at this point if I’m doing anything wrong, but I’m checking my X-E2 raw files and it seems I can’t find a way to see the worms :slight_smile:
Which is good, of course, but I heard about this issue so many times among fuji shooters who use other programs as well that I always find myself a little puzzled as I never had this issue.
Well, I’ll keep experimenting and if I stumble upon the same problem I’ll post here.

Thanks

(Mica) #30

I’ve heard great things about the 3 pass demoasicing for xtrans!

Are there videos where veterans showcase their workflows with FOSS photography?