Open source alternatives for Illustrator and Premiere

Why I prefer to influence going the open source path instead a free, closed one?
I could mention freedom but that is hard to justify in a corporate environment, so I have to think in terms of risk.
To me, a free and closed source solution increases the risk of dependence on a single player, be it in terms of a sudden lack of functionality, a security issue or even the sudden end of the product. You’re riding the market, and markets are increasingly unstable these days.
On the other hand, from that risk perspective, open source is about community and, to me, a striving community mitigates risks in a much better way than the market.

4 Likes

Do you know if kdenlive is stable enough in Windows?
We tried it last year, before Adobe came into play, but it had many issues then.

Hi, I don’t know if it’s very stable on Windows. I use it very lightly and for what I need it is stable enough. I use it mostly to assemble video clips, do some light color grading sometimes if needed, fade ins and fade outs… Nothing really stressful for kdenlive.

That’s pretty much what they use Premiere for.
But before they signed up Adobe, I tried to have them use kdenlive and, at that time, it was very unstable and freeze prone.
As far as I know, the Windows release is recent and probably still on alpha or beta, but if anyone has a different experience (in Windows), it would be nice to hear about.
EDIT: There seems to be a new player on open source video editing, Olive. But it’s definitly still on alpha, so it wouldn’t fit our needs for now.

https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/index.php

Thanks for the ping @paperdigits,

@gadolf, we’ve used Inkscape heavily for the past 11 years in the studio. As well as other tools like Scribus, Gimp, Blender and Kdenlive. Unfortunately our website needs a facelift but you can check our latest design projects on Instagram.

As for Kdenlive on Windows it is still under development and not as stable as the linux version.

If you use Telegram you’ll find this floss video community in Portuguese: Telegram: Contact @videolibre and of course the usual Kdenlive channel: Telegram: Contact @kdenlive

Cheers

4 Likes

Many thanks for the feedback, @frd.

I’ll try to get in touch with you in private, since my need is very specific to my company.

Hi Rei!

Why Windows?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Why not? In a corporate environment, people are still used to Windows. It is easier to start transitioning to FLOSS apps than it is to go full Linux and friends.

Hi, @Claes, @afre nailed it.

At home, though, we’re all Linux, for all tastes: Ubuntu, Mint and MXLinux.

You know what? In this company I started to appreciate Windows. I think it’s a great OS and, most important in a corporate environment, highly configurable. I’m addicted to Group Policies, and I feel like God (or Rei) tweaking everyone’s set up at once, remotely from the server. From the administrator’s stand point, it’s reassuring, and I feel very confident that the environment is stable and secure.
Which doesn’t mean that I have completely discarded Linux: I implemented a couple of Linux virtual machines to run some specific tasks.
I know we can also do all this on Linux, of course, but I’m not neither brave nor powerful enough to lead the switch.

Yes, it is super-buggy on Windows. As a matter of fact, I did switch to Affinity Designer because of that issue, and am considering Affinity Photo when I’m ready for it. Affinity Photo is like a mix of GIMP and Krita, but focused on photo-editing, but is also having a lot of good painting tool on top it.

Which bugs do you people get on Inkscape? I only do some simple diagrams at work, so I don’t have problems and in my home machine I only had problems with Power Strokes (and that was on Linux).

Random crashes every single time, but I do complex work with it. That’s why I don’t even use it anymore.

1 Like

It isn’t random. Some parts of Inkscape are either unstable or broken. It won’t crash if you refrain from using them. A long time ago, there was a solid version. For some reason, after a major release, most things broke and the behaviour of some of my favourite tools changed for the worse. What a pity.

1 Like

@frd would have been my first thought in Brazil. The only other option nearby I can think of that might have resources to help would be Tatica, but she’s over in VZ (on the far side from you). I have no idea how close she might be or helpful (I mean, Brazil is almost the same amount of landmass as the U.S. - it’s huge).

https://twitter.com/tatadbb

And you have the language barrier.

1 Like

Thanks @patdavid, @frd has already given me the name of a person here in Rio who might help me.

An alternative non-linear video editor option is Blender. People like @gdquest use it for all their videos (and GDQuest has a lot of videos, including video tutorials on the Blender video editor and Power Sequencer ;)). GDQuest is even developing an add-on called Blender Power Sequencer that adds a lot of features to the default user experience (that might be a bit off-putting, to be honest). Nathan (the mind behind GDQuest) is working with the Blender team to include Power Sequencer as an official add-on (that means it would be included by default in any new version of Blender, you would just need to activate it in the Add-Ons section).

Pros to using Blender as a video editor:

• Very stable (even on Windows ;))
  • Very powerful, since it’s based on Blender (you can basically add 2D videos in a 3D environment, which opens up quite a lot of doors in terms of creativity)

Cons:

• Learning curve (even though projects like Power Sequencer helps a lot, you still have to learn the process, keyboard shortcuts, etc.)
  • Until recently, the video editor was a bit left behind in the Blender project, but there is now a new maintainer, so it should improve

As a side note, I recently used Olive (v0.1-alpha…) for a little project involving a lot of cuts, and it performed remarkably well. However, as mentioned by another user earlier, it’s too early to be used in production.

If you manage to get rid of proprietary solutions, you could try to convince your company to invest a bit of that money into the development of the software you’re going to end up using. Developers and communities can always use a buck or two to improve their software!

2 Likes

I love FOSS, and Im using extensively it. Blender is brilliant. Krita is good. Inkscape cute, but is not ready for productive load. It could end up just a waste of time. It just cant handle high loads, complex graphics; its for simple graphics only(on any hardware). Im thinking to switch to illustrator(of course for free, as I`m not in the company). As option, use built in vector tools in Krita if enough.

1 Like

Yes, that’s my dream, the golden pot on the horizon.
Until then, it’s about changing mindsets, culture.
The hard part :sweat:

Regardless the OS? Or just in Windows?