OpenCL, make the most of it

I just got my brand new MSI Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 TI yesterday to replace the older GTX 960. It is a PCI x16 Card and fits perfectly into my PC tower.

When I started the computer and darktable first time with the new graphic card I was unsure whether OpenCL works or not. So I finished a quick&dirty series of measurements with OpenCL enabled and the same again with disabled OpenCL settings. The setting was “OpenCL scheduling profile=default” and “tune OpenCL performance=memory transfer”.
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 23
model           : 113
model name      : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor
etc
uname -a 
Linux kirk 5.19.0-0.rc1.14.fc37.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jun 6 12:32:35 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

darktable git version: e708ecb-dirty

These are the test results.

This is quite a good result :+1: It means OpenCL does work! Good work and a big Thank You to all developers and other mates who contribute to darktable.

4 Likes

I would be interested to know if you used the proprietary install or the open-source.

I have the same card. I found that setting the optimization to none or memory transfer were the fastest on my setup running WIndows. Also a couple of manual tweak made it faster as well so I rely on those and setting it to none at the moment. I also use large for resources. I tried unrestricted but got some black pixilation while zooming…

I use since ages the proprietary driver currently version x86_64-515.48.07 and X11. Unfortunately, darktable doesn’t start with wayland, don’t know why

darktable runs fine under Wayland. It’s your NVIDIA driver that doesn’t.

No question, license-wise the proprietary driver is a pain in the butt. But it accelerates the graphic card due to CUDA (e.g. Blender), Vulcan and the efficient implementation of OpenCL. It would be interesting to see the same test results as above under Wayland.