OpenFX progressStart,progressUpdate and progressEnd are they supposed to work?

Dear Natron comunity!

I am currently writing an OpenFX plug-in and using Natron as my test platform since it is the application I know that is most compatible to the OpenFX standard. However, it seems when I call ImageEffect::progressStart using the C++ OpenFX support wrappers , ImageEffect::progressUpdate and ImageEffect::progressEnd I don’t see anything happening in Natron. Just wanted to know before I waste anymore time trying to find out why it is not working I was wondering if these calls are actually supported on Natron or not?

Hi,

It’s in the OFX specs, but I have not seen a OFX host application that actually supports it.

They should work in Natron, Nuke and Vegas at least. A few of our plugins use it, including DenoiseSharpen and ImageStatistics.
I think the progress dialog will pop up after a few seconds only in Natron, so that you won’t see it if the total duration is less than xx seconds, but I don’t remember how many.

Ok, I have tried using it in the past, and none of the hosts would display anything (probably too quick, or blocked something).

NATRON_DISPLAY_PROGRESS_PANEL_AFTER_MS is set to 3000 in Gui/ProgressPanel.cpp, so nothing will be displayed if it lasts for less than 3s. That way, the plugin programming doesn’t have to care about showing progress or not: the host does the job. If you do anything in a plugin that may last more than 3s, you should use the progress suite.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you so much for the clarification. Okay hmm I must be doing something wrong because the process I am running definitely is taking longer than 3 seconds.

But I will check on your examples to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks for pointing them out.