OpenGL error after starting Natron

Update 1:
Portable version appears to working. I don’t see the same error after initial update window appeared. And I see my OpenGL settings in Help → About Natron → Libraries tab (the same ones listed below)

Update 2
Both installer and portable installer appear to be working (since there was no reason to not find my gpu drivers.) Flatpak, however, does not work. It’s a non-issue for me at this point.

Hello, my first post here. Let me know if I’m missing details or need to follow a different post format.

I’m getting the the following error upon application startup.

Error while creating OpenGL context: GLX: Failed to create context
Natron requires at least OpenGL 2.0 with the following extensions so the viewer works appropriately:
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object

I’m on Ubuntu 18.04.2.
Using the Flatpak version from today. I assume it’s Current Version 2.3.14 but, Flatpak doesn’t list version number.

In Nivida X Server Settings under X Server 0 → Graphics Information → OpenGL Tab, I have the following:
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2
Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 415.27
Extensions: see the following paste - Ubuntu Pastebin

Note: I searched for both missing extension from error and both appear to be present.

After hitting the ok button Natron closes. I’m unable to get passed that error and into the software.

Anyway, I’m not sure if there is something I need to do on my end to get Natron working or not. Any support is appreciated.

Thank you!

“”"
Error while creating OpenGL context: GLX: Failed to create context
Natron requires at least OpenGL 2.0 with the following extensions so the viewer works appropriately:
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
“”"
it means that natron cann’t find drivers of your video card
can you install Natron as standard softwear?

On windows, reinstalling the graphics driver fixed it for me.

Both Natron installer and portable installer appear to be working. Flatpak, on the other hand, is not working and produced the error. It really is a non-issue for me. Thanks for the replies.

hi there

the only version that starts on linux mint 19.3 is the one install with snap
but crashes with the same error as above
installed is the vega20 driver

hope some one has an idea

Hi,

Could you run the official binaries (not from snap) from a terminal and post any output you get?

Natron snap gave me this error after installing AMDGPU-PRO 20.40 driver with Downgrade Kernel to 5.4 and Ubuntu 20.04.1.
Davinci Resolve 17.1, Works good with fairlight panel issue, Blender works good, Flowblade works good, kdenlive works good , shotcut Works good , inkscape works, Gimp works good, but Natron gave a error of OpenGL. After bouncing attempts, I changed from X11 to Wyland at the start before choosing the user and I solved the problem. Everything works for me.

AMD 580x
Intel core i7
32 gb ram

Interesting! Thanks for that workaround.
Can others confirm that it fixes the issue?
Unfortunately I don’t have a system to test it.

Since switching to wayland is not the most easy work around. You could also give the app image version a try. Apprepo - AppImage: Natron
For me it fixed similar issues, but on another system.

On my ubuntu machine the snap version is working. I don’t used AMDGPU-PRO, but the drivers available in the package manager.