Opening darktable on new pc, just immediately starts-stops

I think it is Opencl, whatever that is, as I found the info below but non the wiser. Basically what is a console, is it opencl or drivers ? darktable 3.8 user manual - possible problems & solutions
Anyone any suggestions, system as below. I guess I can add Opencl if that would help, or do I already have it ? Please keep it simple, no ‘PC Brain Surgery’ as not so confident with that.
Works fine on my 2 other old pcs.

The latest version is 4.6, I hope you have that and only referred to an old version of the manual. The current manual is here:
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/

OpenCL provides GPU (video card) acceleration, making everything much faster.

The console is a command prompt (cmd.exe).

Thanks Kofa, below is what I see if I try the command, then again I doubt I have done it correctly probably missing quotes ?
Can I just install opencl itself again ? Just worried that Darktable works and everything else doesen’t :slight_smile:

You need to navigate to the folder with your darktable executable first:
cd C:\Program Files\darktable\bin

then

darktable.exe -d opencl

Then you will find the log file in here: (after running and crashing)

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable

(hopefully - this is the location on my Win 11 pro machine).

It’s a hidden and system folder so you’ll need to type or copy-paste into the address bar in Explorer to get there, or enable display of both types of folder in your settings.

Hope this helps - there’s a couple of hoops to jump through in Windows. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: fixed my invocation mistake - thanks @kofa! Me was muddled…

Just tried the check of what is displayed (very fast box appears and goes) but it is just empty, no messages. Will there be a log somewhere ? Crazy that this is such a problem for a newer pc but works on my old ones.
I have an Nvidia 400 GPU installed, but again why should this cause a problem.

Yes, in the location I mention above, but there won’t be much in it unless you start dt from the command line with parameters.

It always seems to be the new ones… Microsoft seem to change things without much warning or info.
As to OpenCL there’s a Windows compatibility app thingy that can interfer. I don’t think it’s needed for much else, so if it’s there you can try uninstalling it. Go to Add or Remove programs in Settings, and search for Open CL.

Hi, finally found a log - What is Magick ( I know what isn’t magic :frowning: )

Still don’t know what Magick is but found this on Github Darktable crashing with opencl (Win 11) - #7 by julien
Completely baffled by any replies, is there a simple solution ? All my drivers are up to date so no more I can do as I don’t fancy brain surgery on the PC. May just have to use Rawtherapee.

Tries an older version same thing, implies it is a windows update that has messed this up.

Will installing Opencl help, just worried about risk to my PC with more messing about.

I don’t think this is an opencl issue at all. I think you jumped to that conclusion.

Post the output of darktbale-cltest.

Nope, it’s -d opencl (no hyphen before opencl).

1 Like

Not sure what darktable-cltest is, or where to type it I’m afraid.
Tried just all the combination at CMD prompt and same result. I will try once more if someone can provide a screen shot of what they type and where, then I can just copy it.

I can see this is a problem, without resolution, for a lot of people. I tried an old version of Darktable and same result.
Looks like Microsoft / Intel did something and now it won’t just simply load onto Windows 11. As this is the coming Windows the developers maybe need a systems person to look into an interface module that checks on install / startup and either bypasses any problems or gives a meaningful message and solution ?

Had this with Apps on Firefox and it was pointed out Windows is the OS, Firefox is an App so needs to match windows not the other way round. Shame as I like Darktable on my other 2 Win 10 PCs but they are painfully slow, runs on them but not on my shiny new 13th gen intel processor. Nothing more I can do really.
I also have a second GPU but it should handle that too ?

The path needs to be:
C:\Program Files\darktable\bin

either cd C:\Program Files\darktable\bin from cmd and then darktable-cltest

OR try this:

C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cltest

For any other request, you need to do it from that same path. In example:
C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe -d all

Did th long one - same problem

The darktable.bin gets me this

C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe -d all quick flash and gone.

Rawtherapee it is then, all I want to do is fix some photos not solve darktable / win 11 problems

I will put the search for the message here “Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”.” so that other can find this thread. "Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 "Access violation"." - Google-haku

Thanks to everyone for trying it is appreciated. Seems this insolvable, maybe in a few months a new darktable release will work with this as all older ones do not it seems.
Like all users I just expect things to install and run but not the case, luckily I only had a few photos on darktable on other pcs.

You failed to follow the steps we provided to use the cmd. The error is a general one. The output from darktable -d common should help point at the source of the issue. Since it is only happening in this machine, then it is something different in this machine. Others have reported issues with this fault due to an USB device attached to their system.

I have basically the same hardware on Win11 and it runs fine but I have only one GPU… no integrated version on my cpu.

Is this a new install or did you go overtop of an old version…there could be tidbits left…

In any case the cmd prompt you show is not in the right directory and the syntax was off… if you get to the bin directory as you did in the GUI but from the command prompt and run the right syntax it should identify the error…

Try the instructions from this post:

If you were interested, I’d be willing to connect to your machine via remote desktop connection (Anydesk) and do the suggested troubleshooting.

Given this is classic hacker technique I won’t be surprised if you turn down my offer but I felt I should suggest it. I’m not a hacker though - don’t know enough! :laughing: It’s easy to set up…

I’m in Australia, so UTC +11 at present.

I think I will give up and wait a year for a newer build. I have done all I can and thanks again to everyone.
I eventually did the following based on the links below and… same again. I did hear it could be because my PC has two GPUs but not my fault :slight_smile:
So-
I uninstalled Darktable.

Scanned the C drive for Darktable and it found files and folder, I deleted them all as suggested here.I can't get Darktable to work anymore - #20 by kofa

Did a reset and scannow Using System File Checker in Windows - Microsoft Support

Reinstalled newly downloaded Darktable and failed again.

No PC brain sergery I have a 5 month old PC with latest Windows and Intel chip, if that’s not good enough then I give up.

I seem to recall I could (video editor) decide to use / not use the second GPU. The Nvidia GPU has a control panel that makes no sense to me, may to a gamer ? So will try maybe but not that important.

It’s your decision.

Most often, the problem is not the hardware, but the drivers – see the MS OpenCL Compatibility Pack below. There is very little darktable’s developers can do there, if a broken driver causes a fatal error even when just checking for what is available. That said, there have been many enhancements.

The normal troubleshooting steps involve:

• opening a command prompt (Windows key + R, type cmd, press Enter – alternatively, select command prompt from the start menu);
  • running darktable-cltest and darktable from that command prompt (enter the command cd "\program files\darktable\bin", then execute darktable-cltest and darktable -d common -d opencl);
  • checking the logs and sharing them here;
  • trying launching darktable with darktable --disable-opencl from the command prompt (if it is an OpenCL problem, that will solve it 100% of the time);
  • often, uninstalling the Microsoft OpenCL Compatibility Pack helps (Darktable not opening - #6 by kofa, I can't get Darktable to work anymore - #4 by kofa).
2 Likes