Opening darktable on new pc, just immediately starts-stops

You failed to follow the steps we provided to use the cmd. The error is a general one. The output from darktable -d common should help point at the source of the issue. Since it is only happening in this machine, then it is something different in this machine. Others have reported issues with this fault due to an USB device attached to their system.

I have basically the same hardware on Win11 and it runs fine but I have only one GPU… no integrated version on my cpu.

Is this a new install or did you go overtop of an old version…there could be tidbits left…

In any case the cmd prompt you show is not in the right directory and the syntax was off… if you get to the bin directory as you did in the GUI but from the command prompt and run the right syntax it should identify the error…

Try the instructions from this post:

If you were interested, I’d be willing to connect to your machine via remote desktop connection (Anydesk) and do the suggested troubleshooting.

Given this is classic hacker technique I won’t be surprised if you turn down my offer but I felt I should suggest it. I’m not a hacker though - don’t know enough! :laughing: It’s easy to set up…

I’m in Australia, so UTC +11 at present.

I think I will give up and wait a year for a newer build. I have done all I can and thanks again to everyone.
I eventually did the following based on the links below and… same again. I did hear it could be because my PC has two GPUs but not my fault :slight_smile:
So-
I uninstalled Darktable.

Scanned the C drive for Darktable and it found files and folder, I deleted them all as suggested here.I can't get Darktable to work anymore - #20 by kofa

Did a reset and scannow Using System File Checker in Windows - Microsoft Support

Reinstalled newly downloaded Darktable and failed again.

No PC brain sergery I have a 5 month old PC with latest Windows and Intel chip, if that’s not good enough then I give up.

I seem to recall I could (video editor) decide to use / not use the second GPU. The Nvidia GPU has a control panel that makes no sense to me, may to a gamer ? So will try maybe but not that important.

It’s your decision.

Most often, the problem is not the hardware, but the drivers – see the MS OpenCL Compatibility Pack below. There is very little darktable’s developers can do there, if a broken driver causes a fatal error even when just checking for what is available. That said, there have been many enhancements.

The normal troubleshooting steps involve:

• opening a command prompt (Windows key + R, type cmd, press Enter – alternatively, select command prompt from the start menu);
  • running darktable-cltest and darktable from that command prompt (enter the command cd "\program files\darktable\bin", then execute darktable-cltest and darktable -d common -d opencl);
  • checking the logs and sharing them here;
  • trying launching darktable with darktable --disable-opencl from the command prompt (if it is an OpenCL problem, that will solve it 100% of the time);
  • often, uninstalling the Microsoft OpenCL Compatibility Pack helps (Darktable not opening - #6 by kofa, I can't get Darktable to work anymore - #4 by kofa).
2 Likes

darktable is FOSS, created and maintained by interested programmers in their free time, supported by users (partly running development versions of the software) reporting issues, others writing articles for the manual or providing videos, packagers creating packages for Linux, executables for Windows or …

Bugs (or incompatibilities) will not “heal automagically”, they need to be

• reported by users (the more details provided what happens or how to reproduce, the better). logs are usually of great interest. So far i don’t see any useful log that you have provided. @kofa gave you an excellent list of steps how you can do this.
  • fixed by a developer beeing interested and spending their free time

Usually this is an iterative process, sometimes taking some time and back and forth of communication. Just waiting for a stroke of luck someone else will come across the same error and reporting is rarely successful. That’s not how FOSS works…

Also, if the problem is due to something on your side, bug fixes won’t help (except perhaps by accident).
So waiting half a year is a gamble…

It worked Kofa, but raises a question.
I tried darktable --disable-opencl at the command prompt and had 3 or more ‘boxes’ flash on screen and go and the darktable icon appeared on the taskbar. I clicked it and it worked !!

So it is to do with Opencl, now what ? I will search a bit but I can at least set up a desktop shortcut with the above command in it.

I will look into istalling Opencl again, once I have figured out what it is.

You don’t have to install OpenCL, it comes with your GPU (graphics card) drivers.
You may have to uninstall the ‘Microsoft OpenCL Compatibility Pack’ (or its equivalent on Windows 11), as it seems to be broken.
If your only GPU is the one built into the processor (CPU), it may or may not be strong enough to help with performance.

You can find more info on OpenCL, its usage by darktable, and troubleshooting steps here:
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/opencl/
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/opencl/problems-solutions/
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/opencl/still-doesnt-work/

Oh, OP has an NVidia card:

As that’s a fairly old architecture (appeared in 2010), I’m not sure activating it will give all that much extra speed.

1 Like

I do not know if the current w11 nvidia driver really support this gpu or if w11 is just using a generic one to make do with it
I know for a fact that nvidia stopped support for 700 series in linux a few years ago.

PS :
The nvidia search page here seems to suggest that 400 series do not have official support past windows 7
latest driver with 400 family support being

GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL** 391.35 March 27, 2018 for windows 7

Without being a windows user nor expert … I’d say your chance of getting opencl support with this gpu on w11 are rather slim.

1 Like

I think putting old hardware in a new box is just not often worth it… likely something is going to have to slow down or some compromise is made in this case I think going back someone commented that the OP had a nice primary gpu so why risk any interactions or issue… I suspect if DT got cleaned up after all the tinkering that has been done… ie being sure to also clear out all the config files and files in the cache and appdata etc… pull the old GPU, look for the opencl compatibility pack and delete that reinstall DT and it will be off to the races…

1 Like

Not that old GPU just not massive, https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/productspage/quadro/quadro-desktop/nvidia-t400-datasheet-1987150-r3.pdf I had it in a small format pc so power and mainly heat were my main thoughts. Only bought as I do some videos, to be honest the Intel one is fine. Ironically when it was in the Dell optiplex 7020 Darktable worked fine. Just the entire PC is slow, I was ok with it till I got this one.

I am not looking for speed really as I just do the occasional photo not like professional batch processing I guess.
At least I can use it using the darktable --disable-opencl command and it is fine just tedious to start.
Strangely I have Opencl drivers unticked, now ticked in the screen shot, as suggested and still needs the fix to start it. I had hoped saying don’t bother with opencl would have worked. Done the usual uninstall reinstall etc.

1 Like

Okay so you have opencl kernel caches in DT… I would find them… I will look-up the directory for you and delete them… they will be created again from scratch and perhaps clean up any remaining issues…

EDIT:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable

username = you windows user account name

Delete the files in here…since its a new install and if you have not imported a lot of files maybe the mipimaps files too…these are the image thumbs but they can also be recreated… I don’t think any harm to kill them as well and start from scratch…

See if that helps…

Ok, sorry I misred you I though you had shove a gtx 480 into your brand new rig… sorry.

You can create a desktop shortcut and add the --disable-opencl option to the lauch options

PS : not so old but nevertheless driver update on these quadro linup seems to be less frequent, maybe the support for opencl is not so streamlined ? I’d be ready inclined to think that a more common GPU would eliminate some compatibility issues.
On the cheap side, 1650 would be an upgrade not requiering any 12v GPU connector where some other more expensive upgrade path would provide a more sensible amount of video memory to boost DT (depending the size of the files you open in it)

I think that’s a different card. The Quadro T400, based on the Turing micro-architecture, was released in May 2021.

It’s the first one in the ‘T/RTX’ section of the page.

1 Like

We’ll see. OP would have to give the actual type of the card. We only can use what he gives us…

There was an NVidia brochure linked above. There seem to be two variants, one with 2, the other with 4 GB.
Maybe the NVidia driver is not the problem. The i7-13700 also has a GPU, the UHD Graphics 770.

It’d be nice to know if the broken Microsoft ‘OpenCL Compatibility’ thingy is installed. @charentejohn , can you provide info on that?

Could you also provide the output of darktable-cltest, as shown here?

Below is the actual GPU I bought, I will get back to this tomorrow but just want to thank everyone for their help, unexpected and much appreciated.

Just checking out the shortcut wording, I think it is “C:Program Files\Darktable.exe” --disable-opencl

1 Like