Opening files from Finder on Mac

I am unable to open FITS files in Siril from the Finder on macOS. When I try to do so I get:

“The document .fits " could not be opened. SiriL cannot open files in the ‘Flexible Image Transport System document’ format”.

Obviously Siril can open these documents and they work find if I open them using hte Open button in Siril. It seems that Siril has registered that it can open these files, but maybe it is not responding correctly to the notification to open them.

Since I haven’t found others complaining about this, maybe this is something specific to my Mac system (I am running the lates macOS). But I can’t imagine what. It would be really nice to be able to double click a file in the file system and have it open in Siril.

Yes this is a known bug.
Indeed, as we do not have dedicated macOS developers it is too difficult to fix this for now.

I’m a Mac and iOS developer. I can take a look to see if it’s easily fixed.

2 Likes

It will be my pleasure indeed :).

I found the Siril source code repository. I also found the GtkosxApplication project/file that integrates GTK with macOS events.

Is there a separate Siril developer discussion group to ask questions about the build process?

Not really. You can ask here:)

OK:

I must say, for someone that has mainly used Xcode on Mac, getting all the pieces to build Siril is somewhat daunting. I think I have all the required libraries installed, but I won’t know until it builds properly.

So the README file doesn’t really have much in the way of instructions for building. For building for GNU/Linux it has:

meson --buildtype release _build 
ninja -C _build
ninja -C _build install

I decided to try this. The meson command seemed to work (no errors). However, then I get:

(base) bill@Bills-iMac siril-1.0.1 % ninja -C build
ninja: Entering directory `build’
ninja: error: loading ‘build.ninja’: No such file or directory

I don’t know enough about ninja to know what to do here.

OK, I don’t know what happened, but when I repeated the commands in a different shell, they appeared to work. Of course siril was installed in /usr/local/bin which is great (I guess) for Linux. However, I want to build a macOS app. Can someone give me the steps to do this?

Hello. Building a macOS app is really … really complicated (at least for me ^^). Is it mandatory?
We use this repo: GitHub - lock042/siril-macos-build: Siril's macOS build scripts: This page is the mirror of https://gitlab.com/free-astro/siril-macos-build that is a suite of several python script to build Siril.
This was done by Gimp macOS dev. It is very obscure to me but it works… sometimes ^^.

I’ll give that a try.

Yes, it is probably necessary to build on Mac. The whole point of this was for me to add the code so the app responds correctly to the notification from the Finder to open a file.