Opening old cache files

So I was just screwing around on my PC and stumbled upon the RT cache folder, which to my surprise was chock full of files that judging by the file names are old projects I’ve worked on and I thought it would be cool to look through all of them, but I have no idea how to do it! I was just curious if there is any way to view these files, they don’t show up in the file explorer when I look for them using RT and I haven’t been able to find any other program that can do anything with them.

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/File_Paths#Cache

I know WHERE the files are, finding them is what prompted this in the first place, I just don’t know how, if at all, they can be opened. I’ve tried using the “open with…” function and RT just opens a blank project. The reason I want to look at them is because some of these things are YEARS old and I don’t even know if I have the finished files anywhere on my pc.

Capital letters, I love them. I read you fine the first time.

The link explains not only where they are, but also what they are and what to do with them.

Everything can be opened. Since you read the link and you know what they are, and since you’re still pursuing the subject, you will need to explain what it is that you want to achieve by opening a cached thumbnail or binary histogram dump. Only then can I advise how to open “them”, once you clarify what “they” are.

Schoolmasterism aside: If you are a bit familiar with programming, it should be easy to write a little rtti2pnm converter, given that both formats are very simple. You can find the code to read the thumbnails here (8b, 16b and float). Netpbm format is described i.a. here. If you are using a Linux distro, almost every image viewer will support Netpbm.

Good luck
Flössie

Edit: This was meant as a reply to @JoeTaylor49, not @Morgan_Hardwood, sorry.

I’ve created a very simple converter for you. It’s just an experiment, so adjust it to your liking. Some thumbs come out very dark, so there must be some scaling which is stored outside the rtti file.

HTH
Flössie