Opening raw with right-click 'open with' has no file explorer.. bug/issue?

Have been hoping to see the option to open a instance with right click that brings up the full program with file browser.

Please make it so masters of code!

Just remembered so thought id bump it.

It’s possible, add -R to your command-line or shortcut.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Command-Line_Options

2 Likes

What I use mainly:

right click on folder to open context menu
then click on “browse with rawtherapee”

Hi Morgan,

I don’t use command line version at all. Just GUI.

Can you explain how I would add that to the shortcut, in windows. Just a simple explanation, I’m not familiar with that.

Humm, my right click menu doesn’t show a browse by RT opton. It has the option for Adobe bridge and also faststone viewer.

Is there a way i can get that to register in the context menu.

PS, thanks for all the help guys…Much appreciated!

On windows, I wrongly thought this feature was present in 5.2. I don’t remember when it was added. It will be present in 5.3
With this feature, when installing with installer (not with zip) you have the possibility to add “browse with Rawtherapee” to the directory context menu.
If you want you can test
RawTherapee_dev_5.2-187-ga1f86bff_WinVista_64.zip
available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2q9OrgyDEfPS2FpdDAtMVI1RG8

Thank you. If its possible can this option also be added for individual files as well as folders? Files is ideal because often you know which photo, and in a folder with lots of photos it still takes a few seconds to load all the thumbnails and then find the image.

Like two entries, open with RT editor and open with RT?

@PhilipB Sorry, as I am not a developper, I cannot answer

Can anyone give me hint on how i would add -R to a shortcut on windows. Perhaps that is the solution? Im just not sure how to implement it.

RT in remote mode as IrfanView’s external editor:

ExternalViewer8=C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\rawtherapee.exe "-R "%1""

(in i_view64.ini)

An easy way to add it to Windows context menu for needed file formats, is using FileTypesMan from NirSoft.

Awsome! Thanks Jacal

I was able to use it in faststone viewer as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Another Windows work around is to create a batch file, say “RT.bat” containing the following

@ECHO OFF
if not 1=="" "C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe" -R "~1"

and setting this to be your default program for whatever type of files you choose.

Works well for me with FastStone and Photo Mechanic

If used a few times in W10 File Explorer with “Open with” > “Choose another app” it will stay in the list so quite easy to invoke on an ad hoc basis

Need “” around %~1 to open files with spaces in name

Another Windows workaround is to create a right-click Shell extension with a .reg file:

• Create a text file with this contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\RawTherapee Browser]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\RawTherapee Browser\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\RawTherapee\\5.2\\rawtherapee.exe\" \"-R\" \"%1\""

• Save it as <any name>.reg.

• double-click and validate for the command to be written into the Registry.

Modify the path according to your RawTherapee path. Don’t forget that quotes and backslashes must be escaped by a backslash (first version of my post was ruined by the text editor, which also considers backslashes as escapes, and converts straight quotes to left and right quotes;) I had to use HTML entities; copy-paste should work now). If you want to change the name “RawTherapee Browser”, don’t forget to change both occurrences.

PS: Still searching the proper way to pass parameters through an XnView ini file…

Just had to switch to XnViewer for color management issues…

hoping to achieve the same result in XnView…i.e. Open in RT with file browser.

I cant figure out the syntax… The following isn’t working, Any ideas? Would appreciate the help.

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=31200

OpenWith]
Name_2=rawtherapee F
OpenWith_0=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC 2018\Bridge.exe
OpenWith_1=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe
OpenWith_2=C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe
OpenWith_3=
Param_2= -R

I also use XnView (portable version) and have added the batch file I mentioned in my post of Oct 2 to the “Open with” … “Add Program” (change to the BAT option in the dialog box…).

XnView assigns a Shortcut key as well (Alt+1 if it’s the first)

I did exactly as you said, but the bat file isnt working for me…added exactly the text, which aligns with my folders ect.

dosent do anything no matter how i open it. I tried with open with and associated with XnView open with. Nothing.

@ECHO OFF
if not 1=="" “C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe” -R “~1”

ping @agriggio (not for windows, but for the -R)

I’m using Windows 10. Path name must match your RT install and the BAT filename must not have any spaces.

Otherwise…??

You test by entering
“C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe” -R
in a cmd box. it should open RT same as using a shortcut.

1 Like

Works for the exe, but not the .bat.

see below. Everything in the bat is correct with regards to path and naming, but it no like…

kjhkljh

You have an o with a ^ over it, which might mean some encoding thing. Or your path needs to be quoted.