Opening raw with right-click 'open with' has no file explorer.. bug/issue?

Another Windows workaround is to create a right-click Shell extension with a .reg file:

• Create a text file with this contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\RawTherapee Browser]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\RawTherapee Browser\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\RawTherapee\\5.2\\rawtherapee.exe\" \"-R\" \"%1\""

• Save it as <any name>.reg.

• double-click and validate for the command to be written into the Registry.

Modify the path according to your RawTherapee path. Don’t forget that quotes and backslashes must be escaped by a backslash (first version of my post was ruined by the text editor, which also considers backslashes as escapes, and converts straight quotes to left and right quotes;) I had to use HTML entities; copy-paste should work now). If you want to change the name “RawTherapee Browser”, don’t forget to change both occurrences.

PS: Still searching the proper way to pass parameters through an XnView ini file…

Just had to switch to XnViewer for color management issues…

hoping to achieve the same result in XnView…i.e. Open in RT with file browser.

I cant figure out the syntax… The following isn’t working, Any ideas? Would appreciate the help.

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=31200

OpenWith]
Name_2=rawtherapee F
OpenWith_0=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC 2018\Bridge.exe
OpenWith_1=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe
OpenWith_2=C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe
OpenWith_3=
Param_2= -R

I also use XnView (portable version) and have added the batch file I mentioned in my post of Oct 2 to the “Open with” … “Add Program” (change to the BAT option in the dialog box…).

XnView assigns a Shortcut key as well (Alt+1 if it’s the first)

I did exactly as you said, but the bat file isnt working for me…added exactly the text, which aligns with my folders ect.

dosent do anything no matter how i open it. I tried with open with and associated with XnView open with. Nothing.

@ECHO OFF
if not 1=="" “C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe” -R “~1”

ping @agriggio (not for windows, but for the -R)

I’m using Windows 10. Path name must match your RT install and the BAT filename must not have any spaces.

Otherwise…??

You test by entering
“C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.3\rawtherapee.exe” -R
in a cmd box. it should open RT same as using a shortcut.

1 Like

Works for the exe, but not the .bat.

see below. Everything in the bat is correct with regards to path and naming, but it no like…

kjhkljh

You have an o with a ^ over it, which might mean some encoding thing. Or your path needs to be quoted.

It starts the .exe fine, just not the .bat.

My test result:

Fails if no image specified but fine when is.
inside the file

@ECHO OFF
if not %1=="" "C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.4\rawtherapee.exe" -R "%~1"

Don’t know about the -R but

if not "%~1"=="" "c:\program files\rawtherapee\5.4\rawtherapee.exe" -R "%~1"

Works for me, passing files with or without spaces in the path.

In batch files, I believe you need to double the % sign.

imo> From my viewpoint this is an ergonomics stability issue. RawTherapee should mimic normal Windows (and other OS) functions. Normally when you open an image with other tools (Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, and IrfanView) you get full file-browser functionality.

imo> RT should give the same/expected full functionality and not leave users wondering why RT reacts in this unexpectedly odd behavior.

If someone needs for RT to run in a minimal function mode then perhaps that should be the exception while full functionality is standard.

Just my .02 cents. No offense meant to you hard working clever developers.

1 Like

Blockquote imo> From my viewpoint this is an ergonomics stability issue. RawTherapee should mimic normal Windows (and other OS) functions. Normally when you open an image with other tools (Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, and IrfanView) you get full file-browser functionality…imo> RT should give the same/expected full functionality and not leave users wondering why RT reacts in this unexpectedly odd behavior…If someone needs for RT to run in a minimal function mode then perhaps that should be the exception while full functionality is standard…Just my .02 cents. No offense meant to you hard working clever developers.

I could not agree more. All due respect to the RT team, I think this type of quirky behavior is what can turn people away and is they type of issue that puts distance between FOSS and Commercial software. Of all the design and image software I use RT is the only one with this approach. Not sure that’s a good thing. Perhaps it should be an option which is disabled by default.

This creates a sense of ‘quirkiness’ which I think is the type of thing which can have a negative impact of FOSS and its adoption.

But again, RT is truly amazing… I’m very happy to have it and have a deep appreciation for those who contribute to its development…

3 Likes

Awesome!

Hoping this makes it into the next release.

Thanks for taking it to the Devs!!!

On windows, if you allowed these options during installation:

• In the file context menu, did you try “Open with RawTherapee”?
  • In the folder context menu, did you try “Browse with RawTherapee”?